Hydro Assist Ram Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydro Assist Ram Location

Looking for ideas and pic's of ram locations for my hydro assist. Some say mount from the passenger side frame rail to the drag link ( I've heard this can lead to binding and bending the ram).
    And some say mount it on the axle to the tie rod. This was what I was thinking but the space is a bit tight.

Ideas from the Bronco Think Tank?
    1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Originally posted by blwngsket View Post
    Looking for ideas and pic's of ram locations for my hydro assist. Some say mount from the passenger side frame rail to the drag link ( I've heard this can lead to binding and bending the ram).
    And some say mount it on the axle to the tie rod. This was what I was thinking but the space is a bit tight.

Ideas from the Bronco Think Tank?
    If you mount off the axle instead of the frame you take a lot of stress off the track bar and drag link. It's tight but I was able to mount mine between the trac bar riser and tie rod. The first few posts in my build thread have some pictures.
    Last edited by highlander; 12-15-2008, 06:54 PM.
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

I would say DO NOT mount it to the drag link period! Unless of course you have cross over steering, then you could so long as the ram was parallel with the drag link. I would suggest mounting to the axle somewhere near the track bar mount and push/pull on the tie rod.

Just my $.02

Good point Highlander, I didnt even think about the stress on the frame from the ram. Mounting to the axle would actually reduce strain to both the track bar, track bar brackets and steering box and frame.
      Last edited by SonicDonkey; 12-15-2008, 06:52 PM.
      1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

Originally posted by highlander View Post
        If you mount off the axle instead of the frame you take a lot of stress off the track bar and drag link. It's tight but I was able to mount mine between the trac bar riser and tie rod. The first few posts in my build thread have some pictures.
        That's exactly where I've been holding mine in place. Looks like that's the right place to mount it. Just got my back ordered pressure lines for the ram so it's time to mount it up. Looks like I'm welding the mounts to the WH trac bar riser. Gotta cut down my drag link and mount it to the tie rod as well.
        Finished all the welding on the 4 link and painted everything.
        1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

That's how I did mine on my fullsize. Plan on the same with the EB. Very tight but got it to clear with a bit of trial and error....

Comment

That is pretty much how I mounted mine......althought that is WAAAAAAY Cleaner hahaha. Here's some pics from before I final welded everything.

I moved my track bar mount up and back a bit for some added clearance.

Last edited by GloNDark2; 12-16-2008, 09:07 AM.
            1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

Also, as for mounting it to the frame and drag link, I think more than half the benefit of hydro assist is to help relieve some stress on the frame/steering box. So I wouldn't do it personally. I've seen it done, yes.

It's a tight fit to get it on the tie rod but completely do-able.
              1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

Here's my first mock up attempt. When I turn all the way to the pass side the ram makes contact with the tie rod. It's about 1/4" or so from the stops on the knuckle. No problems when it's turned all the way to the driver side. All of this is with out the drag link installed. Wont have that to install until Monday. Have to wonder if it will turn this far anyway.
                Thoughts? Ideas? Or call it good.
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks really good actually.

You could take 1/4" to 1/2" off the bottom of those tabs to move the cylinder further towards the axle housing and away from the tie rod.

Or you could possibly, move it up on the track bar mount 1/2" or so. You'd have to flip the bolt going thru to help with clearance on the track bar though is my guess.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I was thinking bout that also, or pick up a thinner nut and cut down the bolt. Could also move the tie rod back and run it underneath. Not my first choice.

Comment

I don't see any need to run it underneath. It's really close right where you're at. A little massaging and it should be perfect.

What is your tie rod made out of?

Comment

It's from Bullet Proof Steering. It's the Rock Proof tie rod. 1.5" and almost solid.
                        pretty stout.

Comment

Perfect. I ordered mine from them as well after I got my ram and realized i was going to need a seriously beef tie rod that would be hard to bend, since it was so close.

Comment

Yea, the guy told me that this tie rod could support the weight of the vehicle. No problem. And it's the heaviest tie rod I've ever seen.

Comment

I know you already have a good location figured out but since we all like pictures here I figured I would post this pic.

So here is a good pic of why not to mount it to the drag link or pitman arm in this case. The aditional load put to the tie rod when the tires are bound is more than enought to bend the tie rod.

Photo was taken on a trail run in AZ somewhere.
                              Attached Files
                              1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

Working...
                              X