Axle/trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle/trans

Hello All Just wanted to see if anyone knows how much wider the 78/79 Bronco axles(DANA 44/9in) are then the 44 and 9in that I have in my 72 Bronco .And if a NP435 out of the same year Bronco(78 79)will work if I swap out the 351m bell houseing for the 302 off my stock 3speed.Thanks Dustin MARRY X-MAS Let the build start

Originally posted by WHEELER2ROC View Post
    Hello All Just wanted to see if anyone knows how much wider the 78/79 Bronco axles(DANA 44/9in) are then the 44 and 9in that I have in my 72 Bronco .And if a NP435 out of the same year Bronco(78 79)will work if I swap out the 351m bell houseing for the 302 off my stock 3speed.Thanks Dustin MARRY X-MAS Let the build start
    The 78/79 axles are 6" wider than EB axles.The 78/79 9" axle is a better stronger web type housing than the EB banjo type. Also you get 31 spline axles in th 78/79. MUCHO better than 72 EB 28's. The 435 will work BUT it hould have a 205 transfer case mounted to it. A 205 is a great TC but is wider than a D20 and requires a bit of fabb'n to get it between the frame rails in a EB. Should'nt be a prob if your doing a full width swap and fabbing the stuff for that. or get a 435 to d20 adapter and use your d20. Your 302/3sp bell housing will work. See trailbounds build thread, we just did a FW swap out of a 78 fs..
    Last edited by TBS-POPS; 12-26-2008, 04:57 AM.
    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

What ^ said. You could transplant the 435 and 205 (from the 78/79 Bronco)into you bronco fairly easy. Everything will bolt right in. You would just need to build a new t-case crossmember. Or use your three speed intermediate housing and an adapter plate (from almost any of the bronco parts places) and then you can bolt up your D20 to the 435.

Comment

You might want to check out the spline count on the 4X4 NP435. I think it is a different spline count than the 2wd 435, and that is the one that goes with the d20 tcase. The 205 is a great tcase, the only draw back is that the low range is 2:1 where the d20 is 2.46:1.
        Marc D.
        If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Sounds like you are considering buying a parts vehicle... If so, you might also consider whether or not the 78/79 has cast wedges or weld on. I know the 79 D44 has cast. Others on this board will be able to tell you about the 78.

Merry Christmas!
          CURRENT: D44 and 9" with open 3.50's, Atlas II, NV4500, stock suspension, 2" body lift, 31" tires. 93 Mustang 5.0 bored over and ported/polished.

IN PROGESS: 3.5" suspension lift and CAGE arms.

NEEDS: ARB's front and rear, and GEARS!

Comment

Originally posted by bob_lafrentz View Post
            Sounds like you are considering buying a parts vehicle... If so, you might also consider whether or not the 78/79 has cast wedges or weld on. I know the 79 D44 has cast. Others on this board will be able to tell you about the 78.

Merry Christmas!
            78 and 79 are both cast. Pre 78 are welded.

Comment

Axles

So let me ask the pros is it better to run the cast or run the weild on type.If i run the cast set can i just bow out my arms if i add acouple of inch or will this throw the frt end out of wack.I know that i will have to move my upper coil buckets out acouple of inch becuse the lower coil pads on the axle are wider.And if one has done this type of swap drop me a line I would like to pick your bain. THANK YOU ALL FOR INFO SO FAR ...DUSTIN

Comment

We didnt move the coil buckets on Trailbounds and it works fine...we did move the radius arm rear mounts out 3" on each side since we swiched to ballistic joints on the WH long arms and had to fab new brackets anyway..
                72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Thanks POPS ...Everyone on this site ROCKS.Uall help out alot ..Thanks

Comment

as far as the cast versus welded, i don't think it really matters all that much (maybe someone else has a more educated opinion) the only advantage i can see to the welded is if you wanted to do away with them. For instance, i'm considering a 6 in forward push, so I'd either have to move my 6month welded brackets or extende my arms, or just build some really bitch'n bullet proof arms with out the C's , there in i can grind off the welds on my 77 f150 axles and use a host of different brackets.
                    And the pics of my full width swap are in my build file here

http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/s...referrerid=438

if you have anyother question that i may be of help with feel free to ask.
                    72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

I could be wrong, but the 78/79 44 housing have thicker tube walls. Coil perches have offset mounting holes; reversing them will mostly compensate for spacing difference.

2wheel and 4wheel 435's out of fords have same spline count, different rear bolt pattern. Easier to use 2wd. but drilling will fix 4wd for use with D20; just be careful.

Comment

Working...
                      X