New battery...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New battery...

Ok, have had this Optima for 6+ years (red top) but it is dying/dead. I have tried all the 'recovery' methods offered. So, yellow, blue, red, or a different type alltogether? I do want gel vs Vatozone..... thoughts?
    Rick-
    68 Slightly modified
    67 LUBR once again
    61 Willy Wagon

Re: New battery...

I run the Exide gel battery. No problems in 2 years so far.
    1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

I just installed two blue tops in my bronco ,I got them from costco they had the best price,I think it was$189.00 each
      73 bronco 351,nv4500,stk3spd,4.88,hp60f&r,detroit,arb,o/b air,welder,etc.
      77,351 mass air efi ,nv4500 atlas 3.8 4.88,detroit31 spline,arb44 o/b air5.5 lift etc.
      70 4.5 lift 351 c-4 d20 big bearing in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by kwspony View Post
        I run the Exide gel battery. No problems in 2 years so far.
        If it is like the 2 I had it will be DEAD soon. I wish the best of luck
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

I went through 5 Optimas in the last 2 years and finally replaced them all with other brand batteries. I am currently using a few different brands including Dekka, Exide, Odyssey, and Die hard Platinum (made by Odyssey). All of them are either AGM or gel cell.
          In my opinion the Dekka Intimidator is the best battery for your money.
          Rumor is that Optima has improved there quality control, but until I start hearing more positive reviews, I will stay away from them.
          Last edited by highlander; 01-09-2009, 07:29 PM.
          69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Originally posted by highlander View Post
            I went through 5 Optimas in the last 2 years and finally replaced them all with other brand batteries. I am currently using a few different brands including Dekka, Exide, Odyssey, and Die hard Platinum (made by Odyssey). All of them are either AGM or gel cell.
            In my opinion the Dekka Intimidator is the best battery for your money.
            Rumor is that Optima has improved there quality control, but until I start hearing more positive reviews, I will stay away from them.
            I have Odyssey's in most of my stuff, a couple of red top optimas which are 10+ years old and still going strong... the die hard Platinum is a good way to go price wise... FFMDX did not you just put two in your super duty???

I believe RAAAYYY on Classic recomends the dekka and Odyssey, I have had good luck with the Odyss
            2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
            1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
            2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

My Yellow top just took a dump 4 1/2 years and it seems to have gone tits up.

Brad
              Brad
              Chico, Ca.

Comment

I bought a red top when they firs came out about 1992 and it went bad inabout six months so i exchanged it for another one .Then I had a electrical prob that kept draining it so I went and installed centec wiring gave the batterie to my dad and he has been running it in his bronco every since.
                73 bronco 351,nv4500,stk3spd,4.88,hp60f&r,detroit,arb,o/b air,welder,etc.
                77,351 mass air efi ,nv4500 atlas 3.8 4.88,detroit31 spline,arb44 o/b air5.5 lift etc.
                70 4.5 lift 351 c-4 d20 big bearing in progress.

Comment

[QUOTE=904Bronco;52376]Platinum is a good way to go price wise... FFMDX did not you just put two in your super duty???[QUOTE]

Nope. None of the Sears stores in a 50 mile radius carried them....they wanted almost $200 a piece. I needed batteries so I just went to Kragen and got two of their "top" batts.
                  '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Brian View Post
                    If it is like the 2 I had it will be DEAD soon. I wish the best of luck
                    thanks for the warning.
                    1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

Well I spoke too soon. The Battery is fine, Yellow Top bought in June 2004. I was talking to the guy at the Battery Store and he told me that the Optimas that are sold through Costco were made to a different standard than the ones sold to actual parts stores.

So if you go with an Optima buy it from a Battery place. Buy local!!!
                      Brad
                      Chico, Ca.

Comment

Working...
                      X