those tiny holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• those tiny holes

Whats everybody doing about the holes left behind from the factory molding strip on the sides, welding them up, sticking buble gum in them or buying new fenders gonna get a fresh coat of paint this winter.
    sigpic

Re: those tiny holes

I don't have one of those fancy Broncos that came with chrome. LOL! But I would just weld them up, grind, bondo and done.

Comment

I welded mine with a Lincoln 110v wire-feed welder without the luxury of gas, ground them as smooth as possible then skim-coated with Bondo. All told it came out pretty decent, but I am the first to admit I didn't do a perfect job, but if I did that just means I'd rub against an immovable object that much quicker!
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

welded and bondo'd them. Still have more work to do.
        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

get a piece of brass stock to hold behind and weld/grind/smooth/bondo/paint
          68 Slightly modified
          67 LUBR once again
          61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Weld / Bondo here as well.
            Mark Harris
            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Ok thanks guys!
              sigpic

Comment

I found that the endof a brass pipe cap made a good backing for welding up holes - get one about 3/4 inch, and rig a short bendable handle to it for the tight spots.

Comment

get out your old acetylene torch and braze them over! make sure you cut the paint first and sand the whole thing including the metal around the braze before you apply bondo (if you have to apply bondo) alot of the time you can use a thick primer to take care of it! and dont forget your metal etch! (Back side if possible too) brazing is just about as strong as welding and you dont have to worry about messing up your original metal or backing it with something (because it fills very well)
                  just thought I would throw my two cents in!
                  '67 4bbl 351w 3spd 4.11 3.5'' 33'' Workin Project!
                  Most people will never imagine what Me and My Bronco have been through.

Comment

Thanks Savage, I thought about that to got the stuff to braze but never tried.
                    sigpic

Comment

It's quick and painless, just go slow and build it up! add a little back off, heat it up again add a little more and then cut it straight with something coarse! and move to the next.
                      Not to worry you or anything, but I have seen warped steel from brazing... you shouldnt have to get anywhere near that hot!
                      Just use a little common sense and lots of beer... afterwards!
                      '67 4bbl 351w 3spd 4.11 3.5'' 33'' Workin Project!
                      Most people will never imagine what Me and My Bronco have been through.

Comment

Working...
                      X