FW Front end prep - few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FW Front end prep - few questions

OK, got the FW HP 44 with wedges cut off, ready to start mocking up the front end. In the interest of time and actually getting this project done before summer, bought WH long arms and new radius arm brackets rather than trying to make/extend my own arms.

As it turns out, pulling the rig inside to tear it all down cut my fabrication space down so much it is a bitch to do the fab work necessary to get it back OUT of the garage. Go figure.

Anyway - the plan is this:

Locate and tack the new arm brackets, cut off the old brackets and mount the arms -

Set the bare 44 housing on stands, set at ride height and install bushings / wedges -

Set caster and tack wedges -

That should get me to where I need a track bar bracket. The plan is for chevy TRE over steering, and it looks like a custom track bar riser is needed as the FW axle had the track bar mount on the front passenger C wedge. That means the WH bracket will not work, correct? I do have some 2x4x.25 wall tubing that might make a decent riser.

Anyway, has anyone else been down this road?

I also have to admit that I might have to chicken out on the 4 link rear, the budget is getting tight. Found another bare 9" housing from an 80-ish Bronco just in case.

Re: FW Front end prep - few questions

Sounds like you need to place the axle and get the mounts welded up at the right castor setting. Then I would mount up your steering so everything it set where it will be and finally make your own trackbar bracket that clears everything and mounts the bar level with your tierod. I would go with the custom track bar mount since that will place the bar where you want it and should be an easy task anyways.

There's nothing wrong with chickening out on the 4-link. Just remember you can make your whole setup on the frame side and even the upper mounts on the axle side as you go and it shouldn't interfere with your leafs. Take your time and do it right the first time.
    70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

Re: FW Front end prep - few questions

Originally posted by bent70 View Post
      There's nothing wrong with chickening out on the 4-link. Just remember you can make your whole setup on the frame side and even the upper mounts on the axle side as you go and it shouldn't interfere with your leafs. Take your time and do it right the first time.

That is an interesting idea, I have a rear housing with the link brackets and coil buckets in place. I suppose as long as I am welding on new perches for the springs I could cut the buckets off and use that housing, then piece it together as funds and time are available.

Heck, I could finish the top links first and have a "wrap trap" of sorts.

Comment

Working...
      X