Ignition staying in start position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition staying in start position?

even when the key is released. I have to turn it almost all the way off to disengage the starter. I've replaced the switch and the key assembly and it's still doing the same thing.

Has anyone had this problem before and if so what was your remedy. I'm getting ready to rewire the whole truck, just haven't had the time yet, so in the meantime I was wondering if this was a common problem and what kind of solutions you guys and gals have come up with.
    71, 302, 435, 20, spool rear, ARB front, 35's,3.5sl 2"bl
    nodular 3rd 1350 yoke disks allaround and on the road again

Re: Ignition staying in start position?

Sounds more like a wiring issue....The starter actually keeps spinning until you turn the key back? Does it turn back to run by itself?

Tell us more, anything else replaced, ie starter solenoid?
    71 Bronco
    EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
    Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

9 out of 10 times its the Lock cly. sticking. You already replaced it, so it the Soleniod is sticking.
      Mark Harris
      71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by 6daze View Post
        Sounds more like a wiring issue....The starter actually keeps spinning until you turn the key back? Does it turn back to run by itself?

Tell us more, anything else replaced, ie starter solenoid?
        Yes the key returns back to run by itself, and I must turn it almost all the way off and jiggle it a little to get the starter to disengage. Starter and solenoid are new and it was doing this with the old starter and solenoid. That's where I started because I melted the terminals off the solenoid on my way to a snow run. Thought I was gonna burn the fawking truck down. Had to pull a chinese firedrill leaving it in gear and pulling the(soft by the time I got to it) terminal off the battery with the truck starter crawling in low range and smoke coming from the solenoid.

Edit: and Mark I still need one of those t-shift 20's if you're willing to part with one.
        Last edited by santa; 01-17-2009, 07:53 PM.
        71, 302, 435, 20, spool rear, ARB front, 35's,3.5sl 2"bl
        nodular 3rd 1350 yoke disks allaround and on the road again

Comment

My key cylinder sticks. I'm actually on my 3rd ignition switch (for various reasons) and this latest switch displays the sticky cylinder problem. It sounds like yours is far worse off than mine having to turn the key that far back. Mine just needs a gentle nudge back towards the run position otherwise the starter will keep spinning.
          Yours sounds more like a wiring issue.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Working...
          X