Charging Cable question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging Cable question

Were are you guys connecting the charging cable from the alternator? Are you connecting it to the battery or the solenoid. Also what size cable. I have a newer starter with the solenoid attached to it. Let me know. Thanks

Re: Charging Cable question

I'm running the two solenoid set up on mine, and I have mine going to the original solenoid. I run a 4 strand battery cable to my solenoid, and then I have 2 aught fine strand to my battery behind my passenger seat. Seems to work for me.
    Marc D.
    If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Alt right to Batt. (Starter w/built in solenoid) 1/0 welding cable from Alt to Batt and from Batt to power stud under the hood. My Batts are behind my seats in the bed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockbronco67 View Post
        Were are you guys connecting the charging cable from the alternator? Are you connecting it to the battery or the solenoid. Also what size cable. I have a newer starter with the solenoid attached to it. Let me know. Thanks
        pm sent
        6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

How many amps is the Alt? Amp size will determine cable size... A small cable will only allow so many amps to get through...

4 gauge or larger , I do not recomend runing any kind of fuse on this cable. Personnel choice on that...

Hook it directly to the original solenoid only if the same size cable is going to the battery, if not, go directly to the battery.
          Last edited by 904Bronco; 01-21-2009, 01:57 PM.
          2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
          1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
          2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

I just looked up a chart on ampacity of wire per gauge and here is what I found. 4AWG is good for 135 amps in chassis wiring. I'm also not sure if this chart is for fine stranded, corse stranded, or solid wire. I know the 6 solid wire we have at work is good for 101 amps, and that is what the chart states for it.
            http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
            My alt is 130 amp, so I guess I'm right there if I'm running at max. I wonder if this has a safty factor like rope and cable.
            Marc D.
            If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I bought 1 gauge welding wire for everything. Tomorrow I am going to have ends put on. I hope I can find a end small enough for the alt. Patrick told me where I can find one if they don't have one tomorrow. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Working...
              X