Battery in the Trunk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery in the Trunk?

I was reading a post earlier where they put the battery behind the front seats, I couldnt help but wonder if you sunk the battery into the bed and covered it or just used a box on top of the bed.
    (and I still cant figure out why you would use two solenoids)
    The reason I wondered is because my bronco is going to be sitting outside and I have been worried about keeping it safe! I have an electric fuel pump installed for just that reason! and I was thinking about a hidden electric cut off like they have on boats and race cars and that would put the cut off inside the cab! so I was wondering how it was done, and if anyone had any other ideas.
    '67 4bbl 351w 3spd 4.11 3.5'' 33'' Workin Project!
    Most people will never imagine what Me and My Bronco have been through.

Re: Battery in the Trunk?

Not sure which post you're referring to, but my assumption for needing two, is that one is still used for the starter, and the other is used for the actual battery disconnect. Be sure to use a continuous duty version for the battery disconnect. Regular Ford units are not meant for continuous duty. These are available at most RV parts places.

Comment

It was me that referred to the two solenoid set up. This is an easy way to convert to the newer gear reduction ford starter used on the f-150's. It has a built in solenoid, and cranks like crazy. Here is a link to a great write up for the conversion. I recommend it highly.
      http://www.azbronco.org/tech02.htm
      My battery is in a battery box just mounted on the floor. Would be nice to drop it down in the floor like Patrick did, but I'm pretty lazy.
      I have one of those disconnects you are talking about on my winch circuit. Heard of a nasty trick with winches that would suck. Man did that sound bad. The disconnect is a simple two post piece that is one post in, and one post out. Simple as can be.
      Let me know if you need more clarity.
      Marc D.
      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Oh, I gotcha! so you are refering to the old ford solenoid and the one on the starter! Wouldnt it be much simpler to just tap the ignition switch for the juice like gm does and get rid of the stock ford solenoid all together? you would have to hit the battery cable for your secondary systems and tap the starter wire for the distributor as well (or maybe use a... old chevy ignition switch) but it would make a much cleaner engine compartment!
        this gives me a great thought for an extra security measure though! (and I should have an old extra ford solenoid sitting around)
        I would love to know where the battery got dropped inside the bed too!
        if anyone knows or has pictures? maybe!
        '67 4bbl 351w 3spd 4.11 3.5'' 33'' Workin Project!
        Most people will never imagine what Me and My Bronco have been through.

Comment

Here's how I did mine. It is sooo nice having the extra room under the hood not having the batteries up there.
          Attached Files

Comment

Crawlin68- Does your rear drive shaft still clear the battery box since you built the Mog 9?
            SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Whats next? A hidden compartment for your beer refridgerator?
              73' balanced .060 302, NP435, 1"BL, 2 1/2 "pops" susp lift and more to come!!

Comment

beer? did somebody just say beer? my friday today. off to go pig huntin! am i off topic?
                6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

Originally posted by firecat View Post
                  Whats next? A hidden compartment for your beer refridgerator?
                  That's funny because I was looking at that box thinking....hhmm a little insulation and that would be a sweet little ice chest. hahaha
                  1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

Originally posted by Fordfreak View Post
                    beer? did somebody just say beer? my friday today. off to go pig huntin! am i off topic?
                    Off topic...No. Well yes maybe.
                    Rubbing it in...yes! I haven't seen a hog in a long time.
                    Last edited by seahawkfan; 01-22-2009, 02:12 PM.
                    Vacaville, Ca
                    67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

Private or public land hog hunt? Pay to hunt or free? Wish I was going!
                      70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

Man I would love to go pig hunting again. I haven't been for years. Seems like you gotta know somebody these days to have a place to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
                          Crawlin68- Does your rear drive shaft still clear the battery box since you built the Mog 9?
                          Yeah it still clears. I did have to raise the box up about an inch though for little extra clearance.

Comment

Working...
                          X