Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power steering box shafts are hollow? wtf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering box shafts are hollow? wtf?

I finally got my new fabricated steering column/shaft installed. Instead of trusting a tapped hole and set screw to connect it to the steering box shaft, we decided to drill through it and use a through bolt.

Guess what????

The damned shaft must be hollow because now power steering fluid is dripping all over my floor!

Crap!

Now I need a new power steering box (suggestions?) and I need to tap my slip u-joint to the next largest size.

A hollow shaft, wtf?
    70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Re: Power steering box shafts are hollow? wtf?

what kind of box are you useing? or looking for ?
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

I haven't a clue.....it was there when I bought it.
      70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

Comment

Originally posted by sierra backwoods View Post
        i haven't a clue.....it was there when i bought it.
        pic ??
        After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Ditto, pics... havent heard of it....
          68 Slightly modified
          67 LUBR once again
          61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra Backwoods View Post
            The damned shaft must be hollow because now power steering fluid is dripping all over my floor!

Crap!

A hollow shaft, wtf?
            My first guess would be that you smoked the seal on the input shaft when you drilled through it, either from the heat of the drilling prcess or a burr, I can not imagine that they are hollow.

Take your through bolt out and see if it is leaking from the hole or the seal. It could be as simple as a seal.

Brad
            Brad
            Chico, Ca.

Comment

Originally posted by Formerjughead View Post
              My first guess would be that you smoked the seal on the input shaft when you drilled through it, either from the heat of the drilling prcess or a burr. Brad
              Good point

Comment

I'm about to take the steering box off. Here are pics.

It was already on my list to replace the stacked flat washer spacers between the box and the frame with a thick plate welded to the frame, so I guess I might as well do it all now.

I'll take a closer look at the leak next and post pics. Drilling didn't cause much heat at all, I used cutting oil and backed off when it got hot to keep the edge on my drill bits.

Thanks for collectively scratching your heads on this one.
                Attached Files

Comment

It really is leaking out of the hole!!!

I removed the steering shaft, wiped it clean, added more fluid and viola', fluid came out of the hole!

I guess I need a new power steering box (?). Can anybody guess what I have here?
                  Attached Files

Comment

The box is now off, time to figure out what it is.

The last bolt was hard to reach between the radiator and the frame. When it finally came off, the power steering box fell, clipped the edge of the drip pan half full of power steering fluid, and sent a shower of fluid all over me, my tools, the floor, etc. Fun!!

Comment

Quick search of the number looks like it's a mid 70's - 80's chebby Saginaw box (7802644).

Comment

Anybody know a good source?
                        Last edited by Sierra Backwoods; 02-01-2009, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Got a couple of manual boxes around... They dont leak fluid... you can have one...
                          72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                          BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                          RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Or not, it's a ~1969-1980 something box, but all of the boxes I find have splined input shafts and mine is smooth (which is why we decided to run a bolt through it).

Looks like I'm stuck in the water until I find a chevy Sagninaw box with a smooth, but indented, input shaft.

Ugh.

Comment

Thanks, Pops.

I used to wheel with Armstrong Steering in my '69 F100. Damn near broke my thumb a few times not holding the steering wheel properly when a surprise rock jumped in the way!

Comment

Working...
                              X