Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much of a PITA is rebuilding a stock 2 barrel carb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much of a PITA is rebuilding a stock 2 barrel carb?

Is this worth doing at home or is it worth having done by a shop?
    It works fine on the flats, but has no power when climbing a good grade.
    73' balanced .060 302, NP435, 1"BL, 2 1/2 "pops" susp lift and more to come!!

Re: how much of a PITA is rebuilding a stock 2 barrel carb?

easy to do at home.
    Jason Vander Veen
    Placerville, CA.
    http://www.rockzombies4x4.com

Comment

Check the throttle shaft for side play wear before you tear it all down. If it is loose, you will most likely need a shop to but new bushings in.
      1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

Probably one of th easiest Carbs to rebuild, but then I have done a few...
        2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
        1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
        2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
          Probably one of th easiest Carbs to rebuild, but then I have done a few...
          I have to agree, not much of a carb guy, but when I bought my 74, it would not run due to a leaking acc. pump, bought a rebuild kit, put it back together and it ran that afternoon. The worst part was scraping those 34 yr old gaskets off the surfaces. Just use the directions in the kit, read carefully, sometimes confusing, and if all else fails, ask here. Those SMRT folk will answer up...
          74, Banana yellow, on 4-Ton Jack stands, waiting for more overtime. Soon: 37's, NV4500, Atlas, Full width 44/9" sigpic

Comment

If you can tie your shoes you have the mechanical apptitude to rebuild it
            Brad
            Chico, Ca.

Comment

Thats what I was hoping, I have the kit and it does't look TOO bad. I've done single barrel carbs before, so I'm sure I can figure it out. Maybe all the stories I heard about carb rebuild issues were for 4 barrel Holleys?
              Juggy, I can not only tie my shoes, I can lace in a pair of zippers in a pair of station boots!

Comment

Originally posted by firecat View Post
                Thats what I was hoping, I have the kit and it does't look TOO bad. I've done single barrel carbs before, so I'm sure I can figure it out. Maybe all the stories I heard about carb rebuild issues were for 4 barrel Holleys?
                Juggy, I can not only tie my shoes, I can lace in a pair of zippers in a pair of station boots!
                Yes it is so easy a "Fireman" can do it. 4bbls aren't that big of a deal, the trick is unf*cking what previous owners have done.

Brad
                Brad
                Chico, Ca.

Comment

thats what scares me, firemen are trained to break stuff.................

Comment

Most carbs are not too bad. I say go for it - they are pretty self explanatory once you get them apart. I rebuilt my Qjet and it runs like a champ - it was the first I ever tackled, and people say they can be among the most finicky of carbs to rebuild.

If the kit looks simple, it probably is. Heck, if you mess it up, you're only out the cost of the rebuild kit and a little of your time.
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Formerjughead View Post
                      If you can tie your shoes you have the mechanical apptitude to rebuild it
                      ya, even a Marine can do it....yuk yuk...had to bro, sorry
                      no really...its really easy. clean area to work, lay everything out, its easy
                      Last edited by Spaceburger; 02-10-2009, 09:13 PM.
                      Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceburger View Post
                        ya, even a Marine can do it....yuk yuk...had to bro, sorry
                        Yeah but I can do it blindfolded with an MRE spoon
                        Brad
                        Chico, Ca.

Comment

Originally posted by firecat View Post
                          thats what scares me, firemen are trained to break stuff.................
                          Especially if you work on the the Truck company... Like me...
                          2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                          1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                          2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

on level ground the autolite/motorcraft carb will run without the top plate installed. simple carb. just don't overtighten the power valve.
                            Last edited by Fordfreak; 02-11-2009, 04:34 AM.
                            6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

how tight is too tight?

Comment

Working...
                              X