Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeff Mello gets ready for King of the Hammers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Mello gets ready for King of the Hammers!

Sorry, all I have is the link to Pirates, but read it, its a really good story.
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=762034
    Mark Harris
    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Re: Jeff Mello gets ready for King of the Hammers!

Awesome write up man! It's awesome to see normal guys getting in there to battle it out.
    1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

I like that there's a Bronco in the mix.

Comment

68 Slightly modified
        67 LUBR once again
        61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Nice job Mark. You guys are comitted. It's been a cold winter around here. When the sun goes down I'm done.

Comment

If I didn't have a one week baby at home, I'd love to go down with you guys and help out. Tell Jeff that I said "good luck"!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              Nice job Mark. You guys are comitted. It's been a cold winter around here. When the sun goes down I'm done.
              He lives behind the High School, and as you can see one night the creek rose and with the rain, it flooded the barn.
              There is also a slight grade in the backyard so we fall... alot.
              Mark Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Rockbronco67 View Post
                I like that there's a Bronco in the mix.
                Its fun!
                Brought it home, spent 6-8 hours pressure washing it, added some gas and either and it fired right up!
                Ran for about 1/2 hour, and never started again. No time to look at it.

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                If I didn't have a one week baby at home, I'd love to go down with you guys and help out. Tell Jeff that I said "good luck"!
                Will do!
                Jeff left last night, the rest of us leave Wednesday, at O-dark thrity
                Mark Harris

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                  He lives behind the High School, and as you can see one night the creek rose and with the rain, it flooded the barn.
                  There is also a slight grade in the backyard so we fall... alot.
                  Oh, over there? That's the warm side of the valley, you wussies should have been working in shorts.

I still have a lot of 302 stuff (starter, carb, dizzy) if you need something to get that EB going.

Comment

What a fun race!
                    Everyone should try and make the next ones, if not, there is now a "King of the Hammers" Class in the Best of the Desert races (they do the Vegas to Reno races).
                    Anyway, I will go cut and paste Jeff's words later, but we made it to Mile marker 64 in 2nd place!
                    This is a buggy with no major sponsors, or major dollars in, aginst ones with 100k + into them.
                    At that time, Jeff rolled, and flatten a tire, bent a wheel and lost the Alt or the battery, ending the race.
                    With only 20 miles left in the race.
                    It was very upseting but the amount of respect for Jeff went sky high. With his buggy running, pretty much, junk from 7-8 year ago when it was built, held off 90 other racers that build world class rigs just for this one event. Jeff held them all off for 64 miles of an 84 mile race.
                    Mark Harris

Comment

Read about the misfortune, he was (and did) do great!!
                      68 Slightly modified
                      67 LUBR once again
                      61 Willy Wagon

Comment

I never been there and was wondering do people camp or motor home it? I imagine you can do both but it seems pretty windy. What is the best time to go.

Comment

That's awesome stuff! It makes me proud to know that the average guy can still get in there and compete with the big boys if he knows his rig and knows how to drive.
                          1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

Originally posted by GloNDark2 View Post
                            That's awesome stuff! It makes me proud to know that the average guy can still get in there and compete with the big boys if he knows his rig and knows how to drive.
                            Great effort by an average, everyday guy! Too bad that it ended the way it did, but to get that far is great.

That, to me, is real racing. I am so burnt out with high dollar professional motorsports - somehow seeing guys compete in vehicles that could not have been built without the deep pockets of their corporate sponsors just doesn't do it for me as much any more. I still get a kick out of seeing NHRA and Nascar in person once in a great while, but to me the hometown guys racing vehicles built in their garage is much more relatable to me.
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

Nice showing Jeff!! Sorry you didn't finish, but you did very well and should very proud of that!

Comment

Working...
                              X