Setting caster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting caster

A question for the masses.. Is the flat surface on top of a D44 knuckle close enough to perpendicular to ball joint angle to set caster angle when welding on brackets for three link stuff???
    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Re: Setting caster

Highlander?? Crawlin??? Anybody???
    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

Comment

I think the flat machined surface on the top of the inner "C" is perpendicular. I wouldn't use the top of the knuckle unless you are sure it is the same as the "C".
      SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

You can use the flat surface on top of the inner 'C' where the upper ball joint nut sits, but it is pretty small. You can also make or buy a caster checker like this one from BC Broncos. I just made my own from some scrap 1/4" round rod bent into a 'U' with both legs cut to the same length. The ends of the two legs sit on the shaft of the 2 ball joints where it enters the inner 'C' (see the pic on the BCB link)
        Last edited by highlander; 03-01-2009, 10:27 PM.
        69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

had something like that in mind but was just lazy.... guess I'll get off my dead butt and faberup!! Thanks Steve

Comment

Do you have the knuckles off of the front end? If so, I used a 24 inch piece of all-thread and some nut's and washers. Then I ran the all-thread through down through the holes in the inner C's and secured them with the nuts and washers. Then you can use this to put your angle finder on to set your caster. Was that clear as mud?

Comment

I put a socket on top nut and use a dial protractor.
              75 302 c4 marlin crawler 20 44&9" 4.56 arb's 35"mtrs

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                Do you have the knuckles off of the front end? If so, I used a 24 inch piece of all-thread and some nut's and washers. Then I ran the all-thread through down through the holes in the inner C's and secured them with the nuts and washers. Then you can use this to put your angle finder on to set your caster. Was that clear as mud?
                I am about to do this as well, have to set camber with knuckles off. How did you make sure the all-thread was centered?

Comment

Originally posted by tortuga View Post
                  I am about to do this as well, have to set camber with knuckles off. How did you make sure the all-thread was centered?
                  It was just a franksteined together seres of nuts and washers to center the all-thread in the ball joint hole.

Comment

well i tried a few different things and they all came out the same so i'm sure you could use anyway.

1. using a square, i placed it on the flat edge of the C on a portion that the nut wasn't covering.

2. The nut on top is 1 5/16 which i don't have, so i used 1 7/16 and placed it over the nut.

3. There is a flat spot on the knuckle just blew the inner C

I took a reading from all 3 places and got 5* from all three
                    72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Working...
                    X