Not really tech Center console build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not really tech Center console build

So I got tiard of my old center console and have always wanted something that ties into the dash. So here is what I have come up with. Started with 1/2" high density mdf, cut to fit, found some nice felt backed vinyl to cover the mdf with, then drew out this top cap for laser cut. I formed it in the same press fixture I used for my 3/4 door caps. Its about 75% done now, will add a shifter boot (probably made from the same vinyl as the cover ) cup holders in the flat are just below the shifters and waiting for switches to show up in the mail for air, air locker, rock lights, ect. Also, build an arm rest flip up cover for the main storage area.

Here are the pics...
    Attached Files
    1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Re: Not really tech Center console build

That looks really good. All the cool stuff you keep building makes me look like a slacker. Where did you get the top plate laser cut at, do you have a laser cutter at work?
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
      Where did you get the top plate laser cut at, do you have a laser cutter at work?

I get the laser cutting done at a few different shops depending on what I need. D&D Metals in Lincoln is one of them.

J
      1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

Something like that has been on my "to do " list for a while now. Main reason was for cup hold holders.

Your's looks sweet! Nice job.

Comment

that looks realy nice. gives it a very modern retro kinda look to it
          72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Damn. That's really nice! Now I really want a gear banger shifter so I can tuck it up underneath something like that. Plus as Pat said... cup holders!
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

Sweet! and I love the garage poster
              68 Slightly modified
              67 LUBR once again
              61 Willy Wagon

Comment

I was just thinking about cup holders yesterday when I left Starbucks trying to shift the 435 clutch, and turn. Your design looks great! What does the laser cut $$$ set you back? Aluminum?
                Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceburger View Post
                  What does the laser cut $$$ set you back? Aluminum?
                  I cant believe you guys dont have cup holders! I had them in my old console and I found out yesterday how nice they were trying to do the NP435 shift with a hot coffee between my legs. No injuries to the jewls thank goodness! Cant wait to add them to this console.

As far as the aluminum, (Monster Garage voice on) FEEBIE!!!

I get pretty lucky when drawing stuff for prototype or just my use that the shops I use for work are kind enough to "sample" them out to me. I just make sure to offer to pay, so there is no conflict of interest, if they say dont wory about it then...well...Its good to have strong relationships with good vendors.

Justin
                  Last edited by SonicDonkey; 03-01-2009, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Justin- Do you do designing and/ fabricating at work? You come up with some pretty cool stuff.
                    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
                      Justin- Do you do designing and/ fabricating at work? You come up with some pretty cool stuff.

Nope, I am the Purchasing Manager, My gear head garage fabricator hobbies keep me sane.

J

Comment

Too cool. Looks great.
                        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

I don't need cup holders, I have an auto!

But I have them anyway.
                          77 Ranger, 302, C4, 4.88's, Detroits, 35 spline 9", WH 5.5", 3" BL, 37" BFG KM2's on Walker Evans 17" beadlocks

Comment

Working...
                          X