500 CFM 2 barrel, good upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500 CFM 2 barrel, good upgrade?

Looking to get a little more power out of my rig. I think it has a 350 CFM 2 barrel on it and was wondering if a 500 might give it some more pick-up. It has a cam and I planning on opening up the exhaust. I would like to stay with the 2 barrel cause they run good off-road and I am supposed to stay smog legal. If it is a good upgrade, what vehicles should I look to find them on at the wrecking yard?
    77 Ranger, 302, C4, 4.88's, Detroits, 35 spline 9", WH 5.5", 3" BL, 37" BFG KM2's on Walker Evans 17" beadlocks

Re: 500 CFM 2 barrel, good upgrade?

A larger 2bbl at 500cfm would not be the answer to better performance. Mabe if you were running at 3000rpm or more all the time or had a 460ci engine, but not at the rpm range and small ci engines we run. You need air velosity to make a large venturi carb work or you lose the ability to mix an efficient air/fuel mixture.Thats why a 4bbl works so good and still maintains drivability and fuel economy.

Short answer; NO, not a good upgrade in a 2bbl. Progressive 4bbl, YES...
    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

I loved my Holley TA 670. I was running it on my stock 302 and noticed a huge pwr increase, not to mention great off-road performance.
      '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

If you want to run a 4 barrel carburetor without having to change intake manifolds every two years in order to smog your Bronco you could get this intake manifold. It will allow you to run the smog legal 2 barrel carburetor with the EGR adapter included in the kit. Then when you get home from the smog test, just remove the 2 barrel and spacer, and re-install a 4 barrel carb. Much easier than swapping manifolds. You can get the extra power without failing the smog test.
        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
          If you want to run a 4 barrel carburetor without having to change intake manifolds every two years in order to smog your Bronco you could get this intake manifold. It will allow you to run the smog legal 2 barrel carburetor with the EGR adapter included in the kit. Then when you get home from the smog test, just remove the 2 barrel and spacer, and re-install a 4 barrel carb. Much easier than swapping manifolds. You can get the extra power without failing the smog test.
          Yeah, I didn't want to be swapping the intake every 2 years. That looks like a good way to go.
          77 Ranger, 302, C4, 4.88's, Detroits, 35 spline 9", WH 5.5", 3" BL, 37" BFG KM2's on Walker Evans 17" beadlocks

Comment

Boy I sure hope they don't change the laws, or I'd have to non-op three 4x4's. Damn Kalifornistan!
            70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

Just move to inside the AB border across from BC up here in Canuckistan, we dont got smog laws!

Comment

Or you could just buy a 1975 or earlier bronco, or build one......
                SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

OR... buy a pre 75, swap the box doors... sell off the (77). that didnt come from me.

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomEB View Post
                    OR... buy a pre 75, swap the box doors... sell off the (77). that didnt come from me.
                    That is what i was getting at, but in a slightly more subtle way.....

Comment

Working...
                    X