Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEADLIGHT help!

Here's the story:

So, I was out cruising my Bronco (at night) a few weeks back. Pressed the high beam switch and bang! Lost my lights. So, I quickly pushed in the headlight switch and pulled over. Now parked and engine running, I turned my headlights back on. They worked, but after a moment all lights began to dim and even the engine started to sputter. So, I turned the switch off once again. The engine returned to running normal as if nothing had happened. I then turned on just the parking lights. All was normal and working. Brake lights, tail lights, turn signals, dash lights all work as they should, but turn the head lights on and it's disaster! Everything has been working sweet for over 5 years now with my Cyntech harness! Now what!?? ARGH!

So, I drove home with my pre-runner lights blinding everyone on the road.

Here's the question:

Does anyone know WTF is going on?

Headlight switch blown?

Alt internal regulator shot?

Any ideas would really be appreciated!

Jared

Moss Beach, CA
    89 Mustang 5.0 w/ EFI - NP435 - 5.5 WH Suspension - 2 in body, Cheby discs, Detroit Locker rear w/ 31 spl Yukons - pre-runner bumpers - winch - Flamming River column - H4's - yadda yadda yadda!
    VISIT: http://www.bayareabroncos.com

Re: HEADLIGHT help!

I would check/replace your head light switch. I had the same kind of problems years ago when I drove mine alot. seems the switch makes lots of heat.
    Jack
    73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

either the headlight switch or the dimmer switch is shorting out. does one of them get hot?
      1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

Ditto,Ditto... Either the headlight or the dimmer switch is shorting out... My moneys on the dimmer switch..
        72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
        BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
        RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

I disconnected the dimmer switch and the problem was still there. Perhaps the dimmer got wet and caused a short? I'll go back out (when the rain stops) and hook everything back up and try.

Moss Beach, CA
          89 Mustang 5.0 w/ EFI - NP435 - 5.5 WH Suspension - 2 in body, Cheby discs, Detroit Locker rear w/ 31 spl Yukons - pre-runner bumpers - winch - Flamming River column - H4's - yadda yadda yadda!
          VISIT: http://www.bayareabroncos.com

Comment

Light switch on dash, it has a load resistor built in to prevent dash fires, and they age. If you are running higher then stock (legal wattage ) think about the relay system, bright white lights then!
            Rick-
            68 Slightly modified
            67 LUBR once again
            61 Willy Wagon

Comment

my money would be the dimmer

Comment

Originally posted by House-6 View Post
                my money would be the dimmer
                Shut up and cook!!!
                72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Been there, done that. Both switches are now new.
                  70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

I had a similar problem. Mine was at the plugin to the regulator near the battery.Tha connections had became loose.Before it died completelt my headlights were acting up,guages intermittent radio intermittent also drove me crazy till I figured it out.

Comment

Working...
                    X