3 1/2 or 5 1/2 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 1/2 or 5 1/2 ?

Looking to run 36-38" tires. do you think 3 1/2" + 2" body lift is enough? or will I need a 5 1/2"? I have the 3 1/2" lift now but ondering if I should buy 5 1/2" stuff? What do you think? I want to be able to stretch its legs without to much rubbing
    Jack
    73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Re: 3 1/2 or 5 1/2 ?

Alot of variables Jack. If I were to do it again, 3.5 and cut more sheetmetal and engineer the susp to drop more than stuff.
    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Can't I have both

Comment

Originally posted by Action View Post
        Looking to run 36-38" tires. do you think 3 1/2" + 2" body lift is enough? or will I need a 5 1/2"? I have the 3 1/2" lift now but ondering if I should buy 5 1/2" stuff? What do you think? I want to be able to stretch its legs without to much rubbing
        Jack
        I am in the same boat. Hope to have things back together soon, will be 3.5" + 1" on FW with 37" iroks. I think Pops is right, less lift, more droop and clearance everything you can. Probably ending up with silverback flares cut up to the body line.

Comment

I am going to stay bronco width but maybe with spacers (maybe) cut to the body line I think it could be done.
          Jack

Comment

I like my 5.5" lift's appearance but if I was to do it again, like the others I'd do 3.5". 3.5" lifts are a pretty good compromise because of things like driveline angles, etc. There's just more to change when you go up to 5.5", and obviously your COG is worse. Plus a 2" body lift is easy and provides lots of benefits like more options on exhaust routing, a wider range of transmission choices with less sheetmetal cutting inside, etc.

I didn't quite cut all the way to the body line with my warflares, but if you've looked at my build thread even with my 37" tires it looks like I could lose 2" of suspension height and still clear them without too much trouble.

I do get tons of compliments on my rig's appearance with the 5.5" lift... and it handles great around town, through corners, and its not too bad even at highway speeds at handling curves. We'll see how I like it when I hit the trails this summer (where it really matters)! I suspect that either full width axles or less suspension lift are in my future, one day...
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

Ive got 3.5 Wild Horses RC coils and 2 in body lift. Full width D60/70 and 39.5 Iroks. I dont rub at all and Im cut to the body line with Gorilla Flares.

Sillyneck is building me another EB and using the same exact coils on all 4 corners with FW D60/14bolt and 40 Creepy Crawlers. No regrets
              69 bronco, 72 bronco, 66 vert stang

Comment

3.5, 2" body and cut to the body line.....
                68 Slightly modified
                67 LUBR once again
                61 Willy Wagon

Comment

I had a 5.5 and 3 inch body, and ran 38's for years.
                  I went to 44's for a few trips and went down to 3.5 springs, and cut up the body.
                  I think now, I am around 3 inchs of lift, and 2.5 of body, and clear 42's.
                  Mark Harris
                  71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I would go 3 1/2" suspension and 2" body driveline angle isn't bad handles nice and will easly clear 36" and with the war flares 38" are no problem as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X