OOPS!! Forgot To Install Oil Pump Drive Shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OOPS!! Forgot To Install Oil Pump Drive Shaft

I'm almost done with my entire rebuild and was preparing to start my engine for the first time on Saturday. However, we went to prime the motor and no oil pump drive shaft.

Here's my question:

Can I drop it in from the top and rely on it not causing any problems, or does it have to be installed with the clip like normal?

At this point, I really don't want to risk anything, but if it's fine to drop it in the top and I don't have to worry about it falling out in any way, then that will save me from dropping the pan.

Thanks for the help.
    Project Silver Bullet in creation right now - hopefully done soon!! Click here for Build thread 104 WB, 351 EFI, 3 link rear, Cage Arms, 203/205 Doubler, D60 Front, 14B Rear, Gears, Arbs, blah, blah, brag some more, etc.

Re: OOPS!! Forgot To Install Oil Pump Drive Shaft

it can and has been put in from the top. i did it on my 67 mustang. it will come up with the dist. sometimes if it sticks in the dist hex.some of the oversized aftermarket ones will not go through the hole from the top so they don't use the clip. the shaft will usually wedge near the side of the pump and can be picked up with a magnet if it falls.
    6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

Originally posted by Fordfreak View Post
      it can and has been put in from the top. i did it on my 67 mustang. it will come up with the dist. sometimes if it sticks in the dist hex.some of the oversized aftermarket ones will not go through the hole from the top so they don't use the clip. the shaft will usually wedge near the side of the pump and can be picked up with a magnet if it falls.
      Gotcha, thanks for the info. Is the only real issue with it falling into the engine if you're removing the distributor? Seems like once the distributor is set the shaft would have no where to go.
      Project Silver Bullet in creation right now - hopefully done soon!! Click here for Build thread 104 WB, 351 EFI, 3 link rear, Cage Arms, 203/205 Doubler, D60 Front, 14B Rear, Gears, Arbs, blah, blah, brag some more, etc.

Comment

I have done it. The optimum is to obviously put it in with the oil pump and install the locking ring so it wont pull out. I have had one drop into the pan back in the early days so be careful. I usually lower it down as far as I can with needle nose pliers than let drop. It may nee to be turned to drop into the oil pump.
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Thanks, still undecided, but if it works dropping it in, I may just try that at this point.

Comment

Just checked out your build on the pirate again, You have done a great job. It looks good. Post a pic with those 22" wheels. pimpin.

Comment

Thanks regarding the build. You've done a great job also! Here are some pics of the 22's.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by zdaily View Post
                Gotcha, thanks for the info. Is the only real issue with it falling into the engine if you're removing the distributor? Seems like once the distributor is set the shaft would have no where to go.
                yah once the dizzy;s in the shaft won't go anywhere .the clip is only to keep the shaft from coming out with the dizzy. i always build them with the aftermarket larger diameter shaft to keep them from coming out and/or twisting into barber pole with the high pressure pumps i like to use.besides i have seen the clip break or slide off if it's really stuck in the dizzy.
                6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

Working...
                X