Taurus fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taurus fan?

Anybody running the Taurus 2 speed electric fan? I've heard some good things about them and was wondering how easy they are to put in. Seems like it'd be pretty straight forward. I'm throwing in a 3G with all these upgrades and thought it might be good to throw one on with the Alt. Any years specific to look for? I saw plenty of 3.8 L with the fans still in them and heading back to the u-pull-it on Sat.

Any expertise is appreciated, as always....

Fungus
    sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Re: Taurus fan?

Taurus fans are great! I put one in my Bronco, the only down side I can see is that the fan is 4.25" deep, so you will probably have to modify your core support like I did to get it to fit, or remove the core support and inner fenders, and build a tube structure. On my bronco I did away with the hood latch, and moved the bottom of the core support forward 1" and the top is moved forward about 2.5" so my radiator is leaning a little bit.
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I don't have one but thought about it and found this diagram. may be useful.
      Attached Files
      1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

Thanks for the info fellas! I think I'll pull one this weekend and store it with my EFI setup and do it all at once down the line. You all are giving me WAY too many ideas and I'll never get this thing trail ready if I keep adding sh!*!!!! I'll take a look at it and see if I can squeeze it in without any modifications. If I have to modify stuff it will get stored for the EFI upgrade...

Fungus

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
          Taurus fans are great! I put one in my Bronco, the only down side I can see is that the fan is 4.25" deep, so you will probably have to modify your core support like I did to get it to fit, or remove the core support and inner fenders, and build a tube structure. On my bronco I did away with the hood latch, and moved the bottom of the core support forward 1" and the top is moved forward about 2.5" so my radiator is leaning a little bit.
          Any way I could get you to post some pics of your fan mounting?

Thanks,
          Fungus

Comment

Here is a picture of my core support with the radiator installed.

Here is another one of the front, I had to keep holding the grill up to the body to make sure it still fit. I think I will have to notch my hood also, but haven't installed it yet.
            SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Here is a picture of my core support with the radiator installed.

Here is another one of the front, I had to keep holding the grill up to the body to make sure it still fit. I think I will have to notch my hood also, but haven't installed it yet.
              Keep me posted on how this thing continues to go for ya! I pulled a Taurus fan for $12 and am thinking now is the time to throw it in as I've got the engine bay gutted!! I've got a set of hood pins I can use is the hood latch has to go. Only thing I'm really leary of is the wiring...

Fungus

Comment

Check out:
                http://www.dccontrol.com/fancontrol.htm#chc
                Their fan controllers are supposed to be really good. But if you are on a tight budget, a run of the mill fan controller from any auto parts store should work. They are usually $30-40, but seems as the Taurus fan pulls a lot of amps, you may want to make sure that the power wires for the fan are at least 12 gauge, like the wires that are sticking out of the fan motor. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get a 40-50 amp relay instead of using the 30 amp that most fan controllers come with.
                Last edited by Efibroncoman; 04-21-2009, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Check out:
                  http://www.dccontrol.com/fancontrol.htm#chc
                  Their fan controllers are supposed to be really good. But if you are on a tight budget, a run of the mill fan controller from any auto parts store should work. They are usually $30-40, but seems as the Taurus fan pulls a lot of amps, you may want to make sure that the power wires for the fan are at least 12 gauge, like the wires that are sticking out of the fan motor. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get a 40-50 amp relay instead of using the 30 amp that most fan controllers come with.

Looks like they come with some good instruction too (exactly what this guy needs)! Are you going with a DCC unit and if so you going for the 60 amp or 35?
                  Thanks,
                  Fungus

Comment

Oh yeah, what kind of control setup you going to use in your cockpit? It would be nice to wire a switch (or switches) to be able to run in an auto/ manual mode and both low and high speeds...

I'm guessing a 3 pos switch for auto/ manual/ off and a 2 pos switch for hi/ lo?
                    Last edited by Fungus232; 04-21-2009, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Does anyone control their fan using the EEC IV?
                      1971 EB: 3.5" 4 link rear, wristed front, 2" body, 96 Explorer 5.0 EDIS EEC-IV, C6, Nissan PS, Hydroboost w/front disks, 4.88 9" w/spool, D44 w/ aussie locker, TRO, 37" MTRs

Comment

I run the tauras fan with just the relay. I had the controller on it before but it cooked the wires when on high speed. On low speed my engine temp doesn't get above 195* and all is good. The high speed wire is not used. As far as mounting the fan I made a frame from 1x1 angle that butts up to the rad. I then welded bolts to it witch secures the tauras fan shrould with some nuts. Also I don't have a core support.
                        -Darin
                        67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
                        69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
                        69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
                        79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
                        67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

I don't think that every EEC-IV ECM has the option for an electric fan control. I may be wrong but I think that option is only available in ECMs that came off of cars which had electric fans from the factory. All of the 88-93 Mustangs had mechanical fans(my ECM is from a 91 mustang). As far as the controller, I would like to get the DC Control unit, but I will probably follow the diagram above and build my own setup.

Comment

I think the control is there, it just needs to be turned on with a Tweecer, Quarterhorse or chip. I was wondering if anyone had done this?
                            1971 EB: 3.5" 4 link rear, wristed front, 2" body, 96 Explorer 5.0 EDIS EEC-IV, C6, Nissan PS, Hydroboost w/front disks, 4.88 9" w/spool, D44 w/ aussie locker, TRO, 37" MTRs

Comment

Originally posted by 69crawler View Post
                              I run the tauras fan with just the relay. I had the controller on it before but it cooked the wires when on high speed. On low speed my engine temp doesn't get above 195* and all is good. The high speed wire is not used. As far as mounting the fan I made a frame from 1x1 angle that butts up to the rad. I then welded bolts to it witch secures the tauras fan shrould with some nuts. Also I don't have a core support.
                              -Darin
                              Darin,
                              Any chance you can post some pics of how you've got it setup? Are you running a 5.0 with a serp setup or stock 302 with EFI?

Thanks,
                              Fungus
                              Last edited by Fungus232; 04-22-2009, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X