Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlas hangs down...solutions...notch frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlas hangs down...solutions...notch frame?

I know several here have install the Atlas II in their eb's and was wondering what people have done to get it up out of harms way. I've clocked mine up as far as i can without notching the frame, but it still hangs low IMO...Espeically the site tube which is begging a rock to bash it. I've searched here and found the link to a thread on a another major forum showing what they did, but I'd like to see more or here more of what people have done. I'm thinking of notching the frame since I have the tools for that, but would like input on how to do it right. Post up please!!

Marlon
    Don't worry about it...its mostly glass...will be fine...

I went to the woods to live deliberately...

Carpe' Dium

Re: Atlas hangs down...solutions...notch frame?

There's a thread about it on cb. Guy did a good job. I'd notch it, but I have this thing about continued improvements that keep my rig in the garage.
    1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

I have talked to the guy who did it. He did a nice job. I went with the Stak because I am hoping not to have to notch the frame.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...=atlas+install
      Last edited by kwspony; 04-08-2009, 05:05 AM.
      1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

Marlon make sure that your driveshaft is going to like being any higher. Mine didn't. My radius arms mount just forward of that spot so I really wasn't going to gain that much anyway.

Comment

I heard they have an EB version of the Atlas that avoids this problem?

Stacey David had the same problem on the "Trucks" show Crazy Horse project, might try to find an episode and watch it.
          70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

I haven't heard of any other Atlas versions yet. Interesting.
            1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

I am in the same Bronco (Boat) with my Atlas hitting the frame and hanging down to low. I too was thinking of the frame notch( May have been my post you found) I am just wating for a good weekend to do it. If my driveline angle is bad maybe I will just look for a high pinion but hate the $$$$

Brian
              Originally posted by TBS-POPS
              After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Here it says it will clear?

http://www.atlas-tc.com/install/eb.html
                70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

Mine fits like the link above. I do have my radius arm mount right there and it inhibits me from notching my frame unless I re make the RA mount. I have 30" front and rear drive lines because of the doubler so I could raise it up and be fine. I would definitely be cautious if you do not have a HP front axle.
                  “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Brian View Post
                    I am in the same Bronco (Boat) with my Atlas hitting the frame and hanging down to low. I too was thinking of the frame notch( May have been my post you found) I am just wating for a good weekend to do it. If my driveline angle is bad maybe I will just look for a high pinion but hate the $$$$

Brian
                    Yeah...I have a HP 60 so I can rotate it up without too much d-line issues. I'm gonna notch the frame. Great...another porject I didn't want to do.

Thanks

Carpe' Dium

Comment

I must have some mystery HP60 ? It's pushed forward a couple inches and has at least 5 degrees of pinion angle but I still had to grind the hell out of the Atlas yoke.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        I must have some mystery HP60 ? It's pushed forward a couple inches and has at least 5 degrees of pinion angle but I still had to grind the hell out of the Atlas yoke.

If you still have c bushings....get 6 degree C bushings and install them them upside down. That should bring up your pinion. Make sure you have some negative caster though...2 degrees or less will get you wandering on the highway. Stay above 2 degrees negative castor.

Carpe' Dium

Comment

That's about where I'm at with stock c-bushys. I still think my 60 was molested. How much pinion angle do you have at zero castor?

Comment

Not sure...I'm using WH extended arms and they have castor built in them. The only way for me to know what your asking is to take everything apart and then measure. That's not high on my list, but if I ever get that far torn down, I'll consider a cut and turn at that point anyway.

Marlon

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel View Post
                              Mine fits like the link above. I do have my radius arm mount right there and it inhibits me from notching my frame unless I re make the RA mount. I have 30" front and rear drive lines because of the doubler so I could raise it up and be fine. I would definitely be cautious if you do not have a HP front axle.
                              Curious...you've had your atlas installed for several trips now...I'm assuming anyway. Do you hit it with rocks or find it getting in the way? Use a skid plate?

Marlon

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Working...
                              X