351 hood clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 351 hood clearance

I have a bone stock 72 halfcab with a 302. Will a 351 clear the hood with a small air cleaner? The hood is the standard hood, no scoop or teardrop.

Re: 351 hood clearance

Depends on several factors:
    1. Manifold height
    2. Carb height
    3. Air cleaner height
    4. Type of motor mounts used (the "extreme" mounts that some of the vendors sell make the engine sit a bit higher).

I have a 2" body lift with a Ford 351w crate motor fed by a Qjet. I had to go with a 2" tall filter element with a drop-base air cleaner to clear my stock hood.

This being said, there are lower intake manifolds to be found. I think the stock iron intake manifolds are considerably lower than my Ford Racing aluminum intake manifold.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

I have the stock 4bbl cast iron manifold with a 1" spacer under an Edelbrock carb, 2" body lift and a drop base cleaner. I can run a 4" air cleaner without hitting the hood.
      1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

good to know.
        Found a 351 on cl, but it was a cleveland.

Still can't decide on a 302 or a 351...

Comment

Well...

The 302 fits better as its a little narrower and a little shorter. The 351 on the other hand has a few more cubes and a longer stroke. There's no replacement for cubic inch displacement!

It all depends on what you want. I do not know much about the cleveland engines.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

the way gas prices are these days I would go with a warmed up 302. The 351w is nice but gets bad mileage. Plus they tend to run hot.
            1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

I have 1" of body lift with extreme motor mounts, cast iron 4bbl manifold 1" spacer, Qjet adapter, and a Qjet. With a 2" element, it is under the hood, but I had to do some custom work to my aircleaner.
              On another not. I love my 351W. The power is awesome.

Originally posted by Toyoda View Post
              good to know.
              Found a 351 on cl, but it was a cleveland.

Still can't decide on a 302 or a 351...
              Marc D.
              If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

If you don't have a speedo, you don't know what your gas milage is. That is the way I role. My winsor doesn't run hot, but I also don't have inner fenders.
                Originally posted by kwspony View Post
                the way gas prices are these days I would go with a warmed up 302. The 351w is nice but gets bad mileage. Plus they tend to run hot.
                Marc D.

Comment

Mine are coming out soon. Once I get the case the motor is coming out and it will be down for awhile.

Comment

gas mileage is just like the summer time. At a certain point its just plain hot, no number needed. Well I only get 12mpg out of my rig, which is bad. But when my 351 goes in i don't expect it to drop much, the more power you have the less throttle it takes to get up and run.

**** what ever doesn't fit, is just a sawzall away****
                    72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

I estimate that the one tank full of gas I've burned so far yielded somewhere between 12-15mpg. And that was a whole lot of stopming the throttle, and a bunch of random beer drinking nights in the garage with my buddies asking to hear my motor.

I am not expecting much more than that but as it is my weekend and trail rig, I really don't care. It runs like a raped ape and seems to have good low end torque.
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

High Jack
                        Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                        It runs like a raped ape and seems to have good low end torque.
                        Thats what I want 5.8EFI almost done.
                        High Jack over
                        I had a 5.0 in my Bronco I hated it wish I had kept my 250 I6 it was a much better wheeling motor. Go 351/5.8
                        Brian
                        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                        After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

This won't be for wheeling. Its an original uncut half cab, don't want to ruin it.

I keep going back and forth on the 5.0/5.8 (either way efi is planned).
                          Or just trade/sell it for one I can have a little more fun with.

Comment

Stock 4bbl intake with a holley and an after market air cleaner (that fits over the carb, no body lift) the only thing I had to do was goto the auto parts store and find a shorter air cleaner, and it fits with no problems at all!

also, I only had a slight over heating problem (it would over heat if it idled too long) when I ran a 2 core and a crappy electric fan with no shroud!
                            now it has a 3 core with a cut down fan out of a full size truck and if it even thinks about overheating I just throw the fan on high!

IMHO go 351! more torque and my bone stock engine with 411's and 33's got almost 18mpg last time I checked it! I am not sure how everyone is getting much worse than that! (unless they mean their slightly warmed over engines are about 510 lift)
                            I still need to install the 5 speed or drop my rear gear ratio down to about 373 or 350's to get on the freeway comfortably, I dont like doing the speed limit so no long trips yet.
                            '67 4bbl 351w 3spd 4.11 3.5'' 33'' Workin Project!
                            Most people will never imagine what Me and My Bronco have been through.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage View Post
                              IMHO go 351! more torque and my bone stock engine with 411's and 33's got almost 18mpg last time I checked it! I am not sure how everyone is getting much worse than that! (unless they mean their slightly warmed over engines are about 510 lift)
                              Mine only has lift .448/.483 dur. 250/258
                              If I was to stay out of the secondaries, I would bet I would be getting at least 15, but I have a real hard time staying out of the secondaries.
                              Marc D.

Comment

Working...
                              X