Time to redo my PS lines (already)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to redo my PS lines (already)

I have zero faith in my current power steering hoses and I really dislike my PS cooler setup. Also, the hose routing I came up with makes for a very non-serviceable driver's side of my engine bay. Before I get left stranded by failed PS hoses I want to redo them the right way.

I am running a stock Bronco PS box so the fittings for it should be 11/16-18 and 5/8-18. Can anybody confirm this? Seems to be the consensus here and on CB - so I'm pretty confident this is what it is.

For the PS pump fitting - can anybody confirm which fitting is on the back of a serpentine-driven Saginaw pump? Mine is an Econoline van Saginaw pump (late 80s/early 90s van 5.0/5.8). From what I have read it might be a metric fitting, 16MM X 1.5 I.F. male. Can anybody confirm this? If its something else, what is it?

Finally - How critical would everybody say a PS cooler is? It would sure clean up my hose routing to not have it in the loop, but something tells me if nothing else, it serves as a reservoir, providing more PS fluid carrying capacity which is probably a good thing.

Any input? I'm trying to figure out what I need before disassembling what I currently have and I know I'm not the first to run this configuration.

TIA...
    -Tony
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Time to redo my PS lines (already)

I would run a cooler. Why not? I have a 6x10" plate cooler mounted to the core support not within fan coverage. Does it work? Who in the hell knows but I have never boiled my steering. Plus, with hydro boost, I figured what the hell.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

I have no problem running a cooler, but I really think a redesign is in order. I just don't like my current setup, and with my hoses being a cobbled together contraption I made mostly out of spare parts, I really think its time to rethink this before I hit the trails.

So, anybody know offhand what the high pressure fitting is on the back of the Econoline saginaw pump?
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

I thought all Sag pumps had the same fitting on the back? I have bought a few pumps over the years and always swapped in my same old valve.
        Afco makes a AN fitting to swap out from the stock one.
        http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatec...ering-fittings

Then get some DIY hoses and make your own.
        If you don't want the cooler dump it. Really with out a ram, a cooler IMO is not needed.
        Once you spend some money on a high end pump, I'd get a cooler.
        I have over 1k into my steering so I run a cooler and a temp gauge.
        Last edited by welndmn; 04-09-2009, 06:54 AM.
        Mark Harris
        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I've never seen anything other than the metric o ring but I've been told there is a standard inverted flare version.

Comment

Keep the cooler. Turning big tires with little to no forward roll is a big job. It will still lower the temp of the fluid via convection and radiation without airflow.
            70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

How big are your coolers?

I have a couple coolers lyin around, not sure which one is goin in once my PSC pump shows up.

Comment

I have a cooler like your's with a fan on it in the engine bay. I am going to remove it and put one of these on the front crossmember. It should get some air flow from the Rad. Fan.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...part=DER-13265

Brian
                Last edited by Bronco Brian; 04-09-2009, 05:41 PM. Reason: spelling
                Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

I'm running a long skinny tube and fin cooler on the front of the lower radiator L brackets.
                  Attached Files
                  69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Perfect I pretty sure i got one of those kickin around out there!

Comment

My cooler sits behind the Drivers side headlight.
                      Not perfect for air flow, but on the trail its fine. You are only looking to hold more fluid really.
                      Mark Harris
                      71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Working...
                      X