07 Mustang 4.6L in an EB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 07 Mustang 4.6L in an EB

My Dad totaled his Stang. Luckily he is OK. But... we started wondering if the engine would work in an EB. I'm having a few issues with internet so I'm not able to spend much time lookin around for threads on this but I'm sure they are out there. Any ideas what I would be looking at as far as major fab work or major issues with fit? I'm assuming any adapters I will need I can get from AA. I have no idea what I would do for tranny. Any ideas? If it is possible, anybody wanna help?

I would be much appreciative of any info/links to info on this you might have.

Thanks,
    Jeff (prolly biting off way more than I can chew)
    Vacaville, Ca
    67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Re: 07 Mustang 4.6L in an EB

Where there is a will, there is a sawzall. May the sawzall be your guide.

I would think Jeff, that since you would have the whole car at your disposal. That it would be pretty easy, take everything out of the stang and put it in your bronco. I don't know how torquey you'll be. But you'll probably have a really awesome street ride.

If its an auto, I'd bet that an Atlas will bolt right up.

I'd be willing to help out with whatever you need jeff
    72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Depends...

Early 4.6 could bolt up to AOD/AODE, latter ones used different tranny. Lots of wires... As I recall in the back of the last Bronco Driver there was a company advertising that they could put a 4.6 in a Bronco. Also a couple of threads on Classic about it... Pretty sure it is do-able, unsure of cost and time...

Here: Tumblin Automotive, South Carolina 864-983-2979

I think there was a story in Bronco driver about this conversion that they did...

(Almost forgot) Sorry to hear about your Dad, Glad he is ok
      Last edited by 904Bronco; 04-21-2009, 06:18 PM.
      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

I have seen threads where people have done it, there used to be a video on Youtube of a used car dealer showing off a sweet EB with a 32 valve DOHC Cobra 4.6L I'm not sure if it is still there. I think the biggest issue is that the engine is wider than even a big block. Also, you may have issues with oil pan clearance. But like Trailbound said, anything is possible with the right tools and some persistence.
        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I put one in 41 ford pu, THE BLOCK IS ABOUT THE SAME. HEADS UP IS WIDE. ALOT MORE DIFICULT TO WIRE, THAN 5.0.
          75 302 c4 marlin crawler 20 44&9" 4.56 arb's 35"mtrs

Comment

Never mind. Everything I'm reading so far is negative anyway and I don't really want to start notching my frame for a starter, changing cross members for exhaust, etc, etc.

Maybe I'll just try to finish what I started.
            Vacaville, Ca
            67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

Check out this link, and then think again.
              http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/s...highlight=dyno
              Marc D.
              If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Damn you Marc!
                Vacaville, Ca

Comment

cross members are easy, and i'm sure they make a high torq mini starter for the drag race boys.
                  72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

House of Diesel put one in an EB. Not much of the EB left. Looks like fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuSwwYbF_qk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh1lj9CV6WM
                    77 Ranger, 302, C4, 4.88's, Detroits, 35 spline 9", WH 5.5", 3" BL, 37" BFG KM2's on Walker Evans 17" beadlocks

Comment

Glad your dad is ok...

I used to have an 06 Mustang and from driving it around for 18 months or so, I can definitely say I'd be disappointed in the 4.6 for a trail rig, unless I swapped in a cam more suited for truck duty. Those motors like to wind and don't build much torque down low where our heavy rigs need it. For a muscle car it sure didn't have the tire smoking torque I expect a muscle car to have. Once up to speed though, a simple downshift from 5th to 3rd and a stab of the gas pedal and I left many, many cars in the dust.

I also didn't like the fact that the engine started burning oil between 8k and 9k miles, and I really didn't like that Ford said it was normal. I know of several other people with similar complaints about that motor and its appetite for oil.

This being said, it would certainly be a cool looking swap - however I'd imagine its a lot more involved than a 302 or 351. They are very wide across the top and our engine bays are tight with a 351w installed...

I did however like the seats - if you can snag them they might be nice in an EB. The sound system was bitchin too.
                      Last edited by CityHick; 04-21-2009, 08:36 PM.
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

Working...
                      X