Brake problem"s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake problem"s

I have a 70 bronco with 4-wheel disc brake's. Single piston calipers. I've been using the stock master cylinder with ok brakes. I've been running this set-up for awhile now without any problems. Here recently my back brakes started locking up after I hit the pedal a couple of times. I put on new calipers and it got worse. I order a new proportioning valve(going to put on this weekend) and a new m.c. The M/C I ordered was from Tom's, won't work. It's for 4-wheel disc brakes but the brake lines come out on Pass. side. Not enough room because of plennum. Is there a M/C that will work better than the stock one that will come out on drives side and be better for disc's brakes? And any suggestion's on wheel lock up? I don't won't to go hydro or power brakes just yet, just trying to improve what I got now.
    Last edited by Bron67; 04-23-2009, 05:05 PM.

Re: Brake problem"s

Let me get this straight,,, Your running 4 wheel discs off a stock nonpower single line master cyl?????
    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
      Let me get this straight,,, Your running 4 wheel discs off a stock nonpower single line master cyl?????
      Ditto
      68 Slightly modified
      67 LUBR once again
      61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Yep. I bought it this way.

Comment

I really don't think you need power to make 4 wheel disc work. Drum/drum-disc/disc should be ok Proportion valve should seperate the disc/drum. Non power master should be fine. Ran non power disc/disc on drag cars for years.
          Probably have something worn out. Just my 2 cents.
          Jack
          73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

Then you would have to run an inline proportioning valve in the rear feed line to cut down the pressure to the rear. you really need a dual mc to do it right....
            72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

Comment

The brakes have worked ok. But would like them to work better. This is not driven on the street just off-road. I've had someone tell me to use a corvette m/c but did'nt know what year.

Comment

I read your post wrong . It's a dual. Non-powered.

Comment

Stock master should be dual! I see single piston caliper in first post but not single master. Not sure broncos came with a single line master but could be wrong . Maybe 66-67? I would have no problem with a 4 wheel disc on my stock 73 master, Although an adjustable proprotion valve would help dial it in.
                  Jack
                  Last edited by Action; 04-23-2009, 07:04 PM.
                  73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

79 corvette mc for non power disk brakes. Ports are on the driver side. I have a summit prop. valve on the rear only and it stops my 39's easily.
                    -Darin
                    67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
                    69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
                    69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
                    79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
                    67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

OK!! Now that thats all straight.. is the front brake line hooked to the first line on the mc (closest to firewall) and the rears to the 2nd??

Comment

OK!! Now that thats all straight.. is the front brake line hooked to the first line on the mc (closest to firewall) and the rears to the 2nd??

The rear is hooked closest to the firewall.

Comment

Should be the other way like I listed so the fronts get pressure first...

Comment

the port closer to the fire wall will receive pressure first untill the pressure builds enough to push the secondary piston and put pressure on the secondary port. this is brake timing and not bias pressure controlled by a prop valve. on 4 wheel disc it is not as important [timing] as drum /disc because of the activation time differences between a disc/ drum. drum/drum and 4wdisc activate much closer. the main diff in m/c's for combo's and 4wdisk is piston diameter and m/c res. volume. the 4wdisk's require a much larger res and are usually much closer in volume on both front and rear res. i would check for a bad brake hose or kinked/smashed hard line. just my friday ramblings. a brake pressure tool. the type that goes between the pads [because they are much quicker to use] would solve your problem quickly but the are$$$$$
                            Last edited by Fordfreak; 04-24-2009, 04:51 AM. Reason: addition to rambling
                            6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

I had a crushed brake line on my front diffy because some moron idiot dolt decided to tug the EB out of the sand by wrapping a chain around the front diffy tube. Check them up close.

and for info, in 1967 all autos had to start using dual cylinder master brakes and most started using them well before then.
                              Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Working...
                              X