9" front dif

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9" front dif

Has anyone ever installed a custom Ford 9" in the front of their EB? If so do you have pics.

Re: 9" front dif

That would be a 609,, 9" w/60 outers. looked into it and decided it wasnt worth the expense...
    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Cary has one in his Bronco. Paging Mr. Cary!

Comment

or a "449" either way though its alot of money. 2k just for the 3rd member alone. You could build a 35 spline HP 44 with 60 outers for cheaper. Just one man's opinion.
        72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Okay then if I stick with the D44 I have the L.P. v.s. H.P. dilemma. I currently run a stock L.P. drum D44 in my 71' EB. I am going to run 3.5" of susp. lift and 2" body lift with 35" - 36" offroad tires. When I wheel I wheel some rocks/trails/mud/snow , but mostly trails. I did look at some Reid Racing D44 flattops but I did not know someone made 35 spline shafts. When I posted up questions about flattops everyone waas telling me to go H.P. I did not think a h.p. d44 would work to well with only 3.5" of s.l. So here is my quandry. I do like the D44 because I know they can be built tough and for the type of wheeling I do it would suffice. Open to opinions.

Comment

It also depends if you are going to be doing highway driving or flat towing, because the HP doesn't oil as well.
            70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

A HP D44 will work with as little as 2.5" of lift. But the slight added strength of the HP isn't really worth the expense unless you have driveline bind issues . Putting 35 spline shafts in a D44 will cost more than a D60, and you will just start breaking ring and pinions instead of hubs or shafts. A "609" would be sweat but for the expense I would rather spend less and get a D60.
              Last edited by highlander; 04-28-2009, 08:14 AM.
              69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra Backwoods View Post
                It also depends if you are going to be doing highway driving or flat towing, because the HP doesn't oil as well.
                A front HP oils just fine and wouldn't be spinning down the highway if the hubs are unlocked.
                Last edited by highlander; 04-28-2009, 08:14 AM.
                69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

But if I go D60 then I have the weight issue. Right now I have the D44 l.p. stock...It seems to me that I could beef it up for less than buying a D60 F or 609 but I may be able to get a D44 h.p. for less than either of those . I do some hiway driving but not flat tow. I do not believe the driveline angles are an issue with 3.5 " of lift and stock drivetrain, I do not think I need too much strength as I do not wheel hard. So the cheapest upgrade for now would be to beef up my l.p. D44. Thanks for all the input. Now I have to go to the wrecking yard and pull out some catalogs and get my stock drum brake l.p.
                  D44 some discs/flattop knuckles/ 35 spline shafts /ctm's/ tube steering components. And if I break then maybe I will look at upgrading to a D60 or
                  "609" .

Comment

Originally posted by highlander View Post
                    A HP D44 will work with as little as 2.5" of lift. But the slight added strength of the HP isn't really worth the expense unless you have driveline bind issues . Putting 35 spline shafts in a D44 will cost more than a D60, and you will just start breaking ring and pinions instead of hubs or shafts. A "609" would be sweat but for the expense I would rather spend less and get a D60.
                    I agree. The best option is to just swap to full width axles, it almost cheaper then putting money into a stock EB Dana 44.

Also, no need for flat top knuckles. Those are only for running high steer arms for your steering, and EB's don't need to be lifted that high to run high steer arms. With only 3 inches of lift, the high steer arms would hit the frame.
                    Mark Harris
                    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                      I agree. The best option is to just swap to full width axles, it almost cheaper then putting money into a stock EB Dana 44.

Also, no need for flat top knuckles. Those are only for running high steer arms for your steering, and EB's don't need to be lifted that high to run high steer arms. With only 3 inches of lift, the high steer arms would hit the frame.
                      Yep best bang for the buck is the junkyard fullwdths and probably cheaper if your running a stock 9". The 28 spline shafts won't last long with 36" tires.

Comment

I sold a BUILT 44 To go to a HP60 that way I don't have to look back. Save some money build a 60 once.
                        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                        After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

What are the pros and cons of fullwidth? Isn't there alot of modifications to do fullwidth properly like cutting the wedges off and mving them in 3" on each side? I believe a friend went fullwidth and he used a 76' f150 as a donor and cut the wedges ,bought new wedges and welded them back on inboard 3" on each side and set the proper caster. I have read about guys moving the buckets out on each side but this does not sound streetable.

Comment

The only con i have for having full width is that sometimes you see guys go around obsticles, and well you get to go over them.
                            Install is to easy. No rotating or moving wedges, just a change in your radius arm mount at the frame.

I second the ixna on the flat tops, a simple TRO or REO will suffice.
                            Also save yourself some cash and look into OX or longfield joints $100 a side cheaper. Longfields are made of solid 300M.
                            72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

The biggest con I can see is not being able to fit between the posts on trails such as Barrett Lake. I do not remember the width measurement but I have heard it described as "nothing wider than an early bronco" can fit through. It would be a big deal if CA started putting those posts at the head of more trails.

Otherwise FW looks cool and adds stability. Plus with the proper wheel backspacing sometimes they don't even look that much wider.
                              1970 Bronco
                              My build thread

Comment

Working...
                              X