Track Bar mount???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track Bar mount???

Alright got some parts back and now it's time to get to work.. With the FW D44 HP and a 5" lift would you guys recommend cutting the track bar mount off of the C-wedge and either buying or fabing one up that includes a rise or will the one cast into the C-wedge work with a drop at the frame. I don't want to experment I just want to do it once and have it be right. Picture included to clear up my ebonics....
    Attached Files
    sigpic68' 351W ,Nothing stock except transfer case:

Re: Track Bar mount???

What kind of steering are you running? Tie rod over (TRO) or under the knuckle? You want the angle of the track bar and drag link parallel to each other to avoid bumpsteer. A track bar riser on teh axle is much stronger than the track bar drop brackets. The drop brackets put a lot of stress on the frame.
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Under,,,, gonna build my own "stone crusher" type steering setup. Ok so I havn't done any research on it yet but I think WH sells a track bar riser bracket (for the axle)pretty cheap????? Might be a little easier then making one. I'll start cutting off the mount from the C-wedge then. Thanks for the good input. Didn't even know where to start with the geometry, thanks.....

Comment

is that what a track bar mount looks like on a FW axle? I though it was a sway bar mount. The mount WH sells isn't too cheap but it is very nice. I would go with it and axe the mount you have now.
        1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

Track bar Sway bar radius arm drag link I get em all confused to be honest. What ever the bar is called that holds the axle in place from left to right. Track bar( I thought)

Comment

Another vote for a riser at the axle end. Build your own or just get the one that WH sells. Like Highland said, you need to try to keep you track bar and drag link parallel to each other AND the same length as each other too. That way they travel on the same arch plane as your suspension travels up and down.

Comment

Don't forget that even with a riser on the axle end, its still a very good idea to beef up the frame end too. Cage sells a very nice track bar drop bracket that has holes both in the stock and dropped locations. I lopped the lower section off of mine, even with the stock track bar mount, so now my track bar rides on a bolt that still goes through the stock hole, it just has some extra beef around it now.

My drag link and track bar are almost exactly parallel and pretty close to the same length and I get very little to no bumpsteer at all. The riser on my axle was a PO creation that I added to. It is beefy at both ends.
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

Thanks Crawlin68. All very good points I'm glad I asked now. Sometimes I'm a little hesitant to ask some of you cuz I know alot of these topics have been discused over and over again. But it's so time consuming to search through al of the hundreds of threads to find the topic that your interested in. So I appreiciate all of your patients and input,it is saving me alot of time and alot of guess work.

Comment

I'm approaching this issue fast myself, have not figured it out yet.

Had assumed the WH riser would be the easy way, but after looking at it I don't think it will work out. Someone jump in here, but that unit appears to use the stock EB track bar mount on the axle as a brace / weld point.

Comment

Don't know if this is any help. But if you have to start from scratch this might help.
                    http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...et-p-1701.html
                    1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Here's another alternative if anyone's interested. Welded to the inside of the passenger inner knuckle. I have Duff's disc brake knuckles and a TRO conversion using GM rod ends. Frame track bar mount in the stock location, stock pitman arm. With those parts I wound up with the drag link and track bar not only parallel but the same length, and it turned out that the track bar could be a piece of straight tube and not hit anything. I can't take credit for the idea though. I saw it first on Jim Creel's Bronco, but as far as I know the idea came from Gary Yorston in Canada.
                      Attached Files
                      1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                      I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

if your leaving your steering under the knuckle then i don't think i'd do a riser, especially if I was to buy one. Your gonna spend a bunch of money and only need to raise it 1-1.5 inches. And that would be to make perfect geometry. If you go TRO or REO then you'll need a riser. Either way i don't think you need to cut the bracket off unless you really want to. If you do I recommend SS cutting disks (thanks patrick for that tip)
                        72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Build the steering 1st, Then build the track bar riser... The WH riser is for EB axles not FW axles!!!! The rise in the track bar will depend on steering geometry. Build steering first to set the geometry !!!!
                          Last edited by TBS-POPS; 04-30-2009, 04:42 AM.
                          72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                          BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                          RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
                            Build the steering 1st, Then build the track bar riser... The WH riser is for EB axles not FW axles!!!! The rise in the track bar will depend on steering geometry. Build steering first to set the geometry !!!!
                            That is a good point. You really should get the axle under the Bronco with all of the weight in/on the Bronco as you will be driving it. That will set the suspension at what will be your ride height. Then build the track riser to the proper height and position it where it gives you the track bar the same length as your drag link. I really like the way Lars did his outside of the coil spring if you are going to run the Cheby TRE's.

Oh yeah...........SEARCH first before you ask these remedial questions!!!

Just kidding. LOL!

Comment

I'm all about the remedial..........betta rekognize............ Oh crap ebonics again.........all valid and worthy advise mucho apprieciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X