Proportioning valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proportioning valve

I bought a proportioning valve for disk brakes, but like the idea of the adjustable one. Some of you probably have ran both. If so, what are your thought's?

Re: Proportioning valve

Is it a proportioning valve for 4-wheel disk or front disk rear drum?
    I too like the idea of adjustability but on the other hand its just something else to screw with. I have the non-adjustable prop. valve from WH for disk/drum and it does the job well. My rig stops pretty well for running 37" tires!
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

It's for disc/disc. I'm running 44 tsl's so i'm looking for a little better braking.

Comment

With 44's better brakes will come with upgrades and spending $.
        A proportioning valve does nothing but restrict fluid flow / pressue to normally the rear brakes so they don't lock up. You restrict them until they lock at the same time as the fronts.
        With 44's unless you already have nice brakes, I don't think you are locking them up right?
        Mark Harris
        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
          With 44's unless you already have nice brakes, I don't think you are locking them up right?
          No they don't lock up. My rig is not street legal, and my brakes were ok for trails, then my rear calipers would'nt release. I have 4-wheel disc with the stock drum/drum m/c. So I bought a new M/C for disc/disc and proportioning valve. I traced my problem down it was my line lock that would'nt release the rear calipers even with it disconnected. I'm just trying to decide between proportioning valves. Is the adjustable one better than a non-adjustable one?

Comment

Adjustable is always better than non.. you can fine tune it for your particular vehicle and the weight transfer it shifts when braking..every vehicle is different... Better braking with 4 discs needs a larger bore MC, the P-valve will only keep the rears from locking before the fronts,NOT improve the braking...Lock-up is max breaking force, you just have to control it....hence anti-lock brakes.... for vehicle control and safety... class over
            72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
            BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
            RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Thanks Pop's, I know how a proportioning valve works and about the m/c. I was just trying to get a straight answer if a non-adjustable was better than an adjustable proportioning valve.

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
                Adjustable is always better than non.. you can fine tune it for your particular vehicle and the weight transfer it shifts when braking..every vehicle is different... Better braking with 4 discs needs a larger bore MC, the P-valve will only keep the rears from locking before the fronts,NOT improve the braking...Lock-up is max breaking force, you just have to control it....hence anti-lock brakes.... for vehicle control and safety... class over
                x2 non- adjustable can never be where you want it for your vehicle. you might even find you leave it wide open as on a 4wdisc mustang i had with a small disc rear conversion and biggey [wide] tires.
                6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

IMO, if you're not locking up your tires, you don't need a prop valve yet.
                  I would spent the money on a Master Cly, or better calipers.
                  I run the normal 1/2 ton GM calipers with a Wilwood Master Cly and my rears lock up easy, stand on it on it, and fronts locks.
                  All Manual brakes for me as well.
                  Mark Harris
                  71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Working...
                  X