Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parking brake help needed (stock rear drums)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking brake help needed (stock rear drums)

I am about to start throwing wrenches around!

I can not figure out how to get my stock drum parking brakes adjusted correctly. I get them to the point where the feel like they're grabbing but on the driveway the rig is still able to roll when out of gear. I've adjusted them every which way I can figure and I've never gotten them to feel like they're going to hold the rig. Twice now I've gotten it where it feels right but its like I can push the e-brake pedal too far down, where it is grabbing right until the last minute and the pedal over travels its sprocket, then it will never grab again. I've also tightened the cable adjuster to the point where the brakes are engaged when the pedal is not depressed. I'm getting frustrated - anybody else ever have this kind of problem?

Anybody local feel like bringing their rig over for me to compare with? There's plenty of cold beer here!
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Parking brake help needed (stock rear drums)

Are the drums adjusted right? Jack one up and use the auto Adjuster to get the brakes to almost drag.Than the other side. Than work on the wire adjuster.
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

You have a cable that is breaking... Prob the main one. or the floor is pulling up where the cable comes in from underneath to the pedel.... I assume you put the new long cables on the backing plates so I ruled those out. Check the others out first T...
      72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
      BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
      RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

I wonder if it is the main cable breaking - that is the one part that is original. I have extended cables going down to the drums. I wonder how quickly I could get a new one... I am going on a trip in my rig, leaving Thursday.

The floor is not pulling up at all, and my brakes are adjusted correctly as far as I can tell. The breaking cable makes the most sense yet. I wonder if my local parts stores might carry such a thing.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

Pops you were right on the money. The liner on that cable is hating life and there's a section of it that ruptured - which totally explains the weird behavior I was experiencing. I will take a picture of the carnage later - it is pretty pronounced, but my camera battery is dead at the moment.

None of the local parts stores can get one anytime soon but WH shows them as a regular item. I will be placing an order for one very soon.

Now the question becomes - how the frick do you take that cable out? My haynes manual says to just pull it out but that does not make sense to me - it doesn't just pull out. Any helpful hints?

-Tony
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
            Now the question becomes - how the frick do you take that cable out? My haynes manual says to just pull it out but that does not make sense to me - it doesn't just pull out. Any helpful hints?
            -Tony
            The whole cable and housing is one piece, and if I understand what your trying to do is bull the cable out of the housing? If so, go take a break and have a beer. All you need to do is remove the cable end from the bracket and squeeze the doddad that sits atop the floor board opening. The doodad is like a little expansion bolt that once its through the hole, all its little fingers expand out to prevent it from moving back into the hole. It took some patience, but I removed it by using some channel locks. Yours may still have the rubber cover for it.

Comment

Here's a picture of the whole parking brake system from the 76 factory manual. The doodad i'm referring to is in the upper left inset of the image. The instructions are probably the same
              Attached Files

Comment

I got it out. Now I need to find a cable, soon. Tim, it did take a pair of channel locks and fortunately a buddy stopped by who was able to squeeze the "doodad" while I pulled from underneath.

I attached a picture of the failure. It is pretty easy to spot the problem!
                Attached Files
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

I'm sure that you will be able to replace it, but if worse comes to worse, I just pulled my main cable out and will not be using it again. It is in decent shape, but a couple of those fingers might be bent or broken. Otherwise I am just going to throw it in the trash.
                  SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

If I am not able to locate and get a cable on the way by Monday I will certainly take you up on it.

Thanks...
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

Dont ya just wish WH was open on Sat????? I think I would spend alot more if they were so I guess it's not a good thing....
                      72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

Comment

I would love it if WH was open on Saturdays - however I'm on call for work so even if they were I couldn't stray that far this weekend.

I will find a way to get that cable soon. WH isn't far so worst case maybe Monday or Tuesday I could drive there, or have them ship it early Monday so it arrives Tuesday or Weds.
                        1970 Bronco
                        My build thread

Comment

Or pay for it and I could pu on mon and meet you somewhere...

Comment

WH usually gets everything to me next day. I will keep you in mind though Jeff - thanks for the offer!
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                              I got it out. Now I need to find a cable, soon. Tim, it did take a pair of channel locks and fortunately a buddy stopped by who was able to squeeze the "doodad" while I pulled from underneath.

I attached a picture of the failure. It is pretty easy to spot the problem!
                              well you allready got it out. if i'm reusing the cable i put a small hose clamp on the doodad fingers till it's through the hole then take the clamp off. works
                              6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

Working...
                              X