Gear setup - tools needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear setup - tools needed?

Running out of cash to finish the rig for summer - looking for some places to cut corners. From the quotes I have, it looks like I can save around $5-600 buying R&P myself and setting them up. That number is labor + markup on gears that I can buy online for $325 or so.

Have dial indicator, base, torque wrenches, patience (some), don't have a way to remove or press on bearings. What does it take to get those on and off?

Is there a shop that will do that piece alone without charging an arm and a leg?

Thanks,

Brian

Re: Gear setup - tools needed?

Buy yourself a HF press and you'll never look back. $100 buys a press that'll do that and just about everything else you will ever need to do.

In addition to your list you're going to need a bearing removal tool. They are cheap and work similarly to how a steering wheel puller works, in a roundabout way anyway.

If you're talking about setting up your 9", you're going to need a big socket wrench (preferably the non-ratcheting type because they tend to be stronger) and as long of a cheater bar as you can find for compressing the crush sleeve on the pinion side of the 9".

I recently had a friend help me set mine up and its actually not terribly difficult. I don't know about the D44 though.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

i have never done this but i did watch extreme 4x4 and what they did for the bearings was..
      Buy another set of bearings and use a Dremal (sp?) to grind the inside of the bearing bigger so you can test fit it on. this is all the knowledge i can give as i have never done it. but after watching Extreme4x4 i think i could now.

Here is the episode Gear Setup
      {o===o}
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
      Originally posted by CityHick
      I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I have all the tools. Your close by.
        75 302 c4 marlin crawler 20 44&9" 4.56 arb's 35"mtrs

Comment

Originally posted by GREMLIN View Post
          I have all the tools. Your close by.

Now that's Cool
          After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Shane (Gremlin) Is a good guy and I'm sure he will help if he can. He is a good wrench-Just have to look at some of his projects. Ask about his daily-Pretty cool.
            Jack
            73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

I have never done the 9", but I have done a few toy 8" (almost identical to the 9").
              Its not hard but you do have to have patience. The press and bearing seperator are the most valuable tools. You will also need a dial indicator and stand to measure backlash, spanner wrench for the preload, dial or beam torque wrench in in/lbs to read pinion bearing preload.

I will also say to use a solid pinion spacer instead of a crush sleeve, if the 9" has one.

Comment

I'm very curious about the solid spacer idea... how does that work? The crush sleeve makes sense - you just crush it until the preload is correct. How do you do it with a solid spacer that does not crush? There must be a way to measure so you know what size spacer? Or do you run some kind of shim until its exactly right?

Sorry for the hijack - but I know one day I'll be doing this again...
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                  I'm very curious about the solid spacer idea... how does that work? The crush sleeve makes sense - you just crush it until the preload is correct. How do you do it with a solid spacer that does not crush? There must be a way to measure so you know what size spacer? Or do you run some kind of shim until its exactly right?

Maybe I'm wrong, but you could crush the crush sleave, take it out measure it, and then make your solid spacer the same size. Maybe there is a better way.
                  Marc D.
                  If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
                    Maybe I'm wrong, but you could crush the crush sleave, take it out measure it, and then make your solid spacer the same size. Maybe there is a better way.
                    Geez guys. i give you the perfect video and you didnt watch??? hahaha
                    10 min 10 sec to 12 min 20 sec

10 min 57 sec to 11 min to be EXACT!

Young kid: 1
                    Old Guys: 0
                    {o===o}
                    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                    Originally posted by CityHick
                    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
                      10 min 10 sec to 12 min 20 sec

10 min 57 sec to 11 min to be EXACT!

Young kid: 1
                      Old Guys: 0
                      Watch it youngster! Damn now I feel old - a 20-something called me an old guy... but hey, I still feel 25 most of the time.
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

you add/subtract shims to get the correct pinion preload.
                        On a toyota you have to take the pinion in/out untill you get the correct shim stack. Pain in the ass but well worth the time. Once its set it won't change, a crush sleeve can always crush a little more.

Comment

The solid spacer that came with my master install kit for my 9" was about 1/16" too thick. It also came with shims, but because the spacer was too tall I just used a crush sleeve.
                          SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

put it in a lathe and trim it down. The solid spacer is a much better way to go, especially for a crawler.

Comment

I agree on the spacer/shims instead of using the crush sleeve. It's more work to set up in beginning, but I think it's worth it. The main reason I did it was just in case I ever want/need to take the yolk off of the pinion (breakage on the trail, maintenance, ect...) you can just run put it back on without having to worry about replacing the crush sleeve. Just my .02.

Comment

Working...
                              X