cooling questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cooling questions

I am currently working on my cooling system. After backflushing the system and installing a fan shroud the motor still gets to about 195 - 210 at idle at a stoplight or in the drive thru on days of 90 or more. I have a stock 3 core radiator. Is this typical ? I have heard that some broncos have this issue at idle. I am running a flexfan. I am considering buying a new radiator (ouch) or possibly installing a 12" slimline electric fan in front of the radiator but am afraid this is just a bandaid and end up doing the rad anyway.I know the temps are not that too high but I am concerned that @100+ deg outside that the temps from heat soak after shutting the motor off could get too high.

Any input appreciated

Tony

Re: cooling questions

The radiator in my bronco has the stock tanks, but has a 4 row core in it. My father had it rebuilt by a radiator shop and they managed to stuff the 4 row core where a 3 row used to be. It doesn't appear to overheat, but I have yet to drive it around town in 90+ degree weather, as I am still working on it.
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

What temp thermostat do you have? Maybe it's a 190?
      70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

Air flow out of the engine compartment of a bronco is a big factor in causing your bronco to run warm like it does. I used to have problems with mine doing the same thing until I cut holes in my hood bubble to let some air out. The way to get the most air out is by removing the inner fenders. Since I did this, I can idle around on 100+ deg. days without warming up at all. I'm also running a 351W, and they are known to run warm. Here is a pic of the hood bubble when the bronco was red.
        Attached Files
        Marc D.
        If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I will echo those comments, EB's run HOT.
          Removing the inner fenders does help a lot, but I know some people are not into that.
          I would personally ditch the flex fan, and get a clutch, or solid fan, but I have a hate for flex fans.
          Another option is adding a small pusher electric fan to the front of it.
          You can squeeze a small pusher between the radiator and grill and turn it on, on the hot days.
          Mark Harris
          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Mine runs a bit warm too. I have not put the hood scoop on yet or cut out the inner fenders but I will be soon. I have a 14" elec pusher on it and it will run on hot days but I have never overheated.
            1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

A body lift helps, just be sure to move the shroud down, too.

195-200 may not be hot if he's running a 195 thermostat.
              70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

Comment

I run a Summit aluminum radiator and a 2500cfm Derale electric fan installed as a puller with no belt driven fan. My rig has not seen more than 170 degrees, even in 90+ degree heat sitting in traffic. I run whatever thermostat came with my crate motor - I believe its a 160. Carb'd motors can get away with a lower thermostat than EFI without tweaking.

I was expecting an uphill battle cooling my 351w but so far I couldn't be happier. My cooling seems to be more than adequate. I did mount the aluminum radiator closer to the core support than stock, and put some super high temp weatherstripping around the opening in the core support which I hear makes a big difference. I also plan to add those sheet metal pieces that fit between the grill and core support . The more air directed through the radiator and not around or above it, the better.

I also run water wetter in with my antifreeze mix.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

Stock radiator, shroud, flex fan, 170 thermostat. Runs at 170, Idles at 170, on 100* days it will go to about 185* and no more. I also cut holes in my bubble and it let ALOT of heat out.
                  72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                  BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                  RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
                    Stock radiator, shroud, flex fan, 170 thermostat. Runs at 170, Idles at 170, on 100* days it will go to about 185* and no more. I also cut holes in my bubble and it let ALOT of heat out.
                    I have a 170 now,had the 180 bought the 160 but havent put it in yet. My scoop is open in the front.Is that stock radiator 3 or 4 core? I have the small one.

Comment

Mt 350/CJ5 used to over heat and I fixed it. A FlowKooler water pump was a huge help. Unlike other high volume water pumps, the FlowKooler flows 70% more fluid at idle.

Comment

Now THAT is one packed out engine bay.
                        i spy a:
                        welder
                        dual batteries
                        onboard shower
                        etc.

Nicely laid out and it stays cool. You have achieved the ultimate!

Comment

302, carb, largest 3 core they can put in stock tanks,flexfan (pulling) with a 16" pusher. The 16" pusher requires a little modification of the lower radiator support.No inner fender skirts, 180 stat running around 190* average in all conditions.
                          Last edited by Rlemon; 06-03-2009, 11:36 AM.
                          76, DuPont midori sour green, explorer 5.0, Mild built C4, D20, 1 ton steering, 44 w/soft locker 4:11, 9" w/locker, 4.5" lift, 1" NHL Bodylift, Duff front long arm's,4.5 WH front and rear, 35 toyo's, FloFit seats and other dodad's.

Comment

Since were on the subject What do you guys think about a high flow thermostat I saw in the jegs or summit catalog?

Comment

Working...
                            X