Does this look right??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this look right??

Here's the prob. I've got a set of used 78-79 F-150 knuckles (from a vendor that will remain un-named for now...O.K. service after getting wrong/damaged parts) that I want to put onto my '69 Bronco, I have a '79 dana 44 with knuckles that have been reamed from the bottom-up for Chebby 1 ton TREs. I am going to TRO with the TREs and am reaming the new/used set from the top-down.

First, does anyone know if the PSG and DVR sides are two diff sizes/heights when it comes to the distance from the bottom of the knuckle to the steering arm? (pretty sure of the obvious answerhere, but would like to know otherwise). see pix.....

Next, do the stock F-150/Bronco knuckles use the same size TREs? Are they close in size to the Chebby TREs? The bottom of the holes seem kinda big.

Finally, if any one has done this upgrade with the Chebby TREs , could you post-up, and have you run into any problems..ie: needing a shim to take up some space in the bottom of the hole.

Thanx,

Sean M
    '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

id like to see a headon view but it looks to me that you have a eb d44 knuckle and a 78 79 knuckle i have 78 79 knuckles on my eb and the arm is lower than a eb knuckle.

Comment

I can get a pic in the am...
      '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Has anyone used the BCB TRO bushings with chebby 1ton TREs? I just called them and they said that they only tested them on Ford stuff and to buy them to see if they work, if not I can return them...........

Comment

Head-on pic

Originally posted by fordnut
          id like to see a headon view but it looks to me that you have a eb d44 knuckle and a 78 79 knuckle i have 78 79 knuckles on my eb and the arm is lower than a eb knuckle.
          Here's a pic of the knuckles head-on

Comment

i run chevy 1 ton on 78 bronco knuckles
            I did not tro. I use heavy DOM tubing and just run it into things instead.
            I can get casting numbers for you
            70 Bronco with extras; 351W TBI,C-4, D20, HP44 locked w/ 4.56, locked 9" w/31spline, 35 tires, pb 4w-disc, on a 5.5 lift with WAH and Rockers.

Comment

I made my TR from 1/4' wall tubing as well, but still like the idea of TRO. If you can get the casting #s, that'd be great.

Comment

If you want to get your steering up high use some knuckles off a 76-77 EB. The arm is higher than the F150's, 72-75 EB, and 78-79. The only way to probably get it higher without going to high steering arms is to use some knuckles off a Scout.

Here is a pic of my set up with the 76-77 Knuckles. As you can see the arm is higher up and in addition I went TRO using the Chevy stuff.
                Attached Files

Comment

Howdy, thanx for the reply. Were the holes on the bottom of the steering arms a lot smaller than the Chebby TRE or were they close. The vendor sent me 2 drv knuckles from 78-79 f-15o and the psg from a 75-77, each of them had fairly large holes in them (bottom) stock.

Sean

Comment

Originally posted by FFMDX
                    Howdy, thanx for the reply. Were the holes on the bottom of the steering arms a lot smaller than the Chebby TRE or were they close. The vendor sent me 2 drv knuckles from 78-79 f-15o and the psg from a 75-77, each of them had fairly large holes in them (bottom) stock.

Sean

There is a little gap in the bottom of the knuckle where it doesn't fit snug with the TRE. That is common when you ream out the stock knuckles and use the Chevy TRE's. This has been discussed on the EB mailing lists and the consensus was that even though it is not a tapered fit all the way down, it shouldn't be any problem. Probably the only way to get away from this would be to just drill that 3/4" hole all the way through and use the tapered inserts.

Comment

Originally posted by Howdy
                      There is a little gap in the bottom of the knuckle where it doesn't fit snug with the TRE. That is common when you ream out the stock knuckles and use the Chevy TRE's. This has been discussed on the EB mailing lists and the consensus was that even though it is not a tapered fit all the way down, it shouldn't be any problem. Probably the only way to get away from this would be to just drill that 3/4" hole all the way through and use the tapered inserts.

Good to know... Thank You! I've been waiting for anyone in the tech dept @ BCB to give me their insight as well, not to mention the Chitty vendor I've been dealing with on the knuckles.

Sean
                      Last edited by FFMDX; 03-24-2006, 07:24 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

Update...

Well it's been a LOONNNGG time comin', but my hydro assist upgrade is getting very close. (A bunch of set-backs via vendors and UPS....~ 4 mos). I've redone the upper and lower (THANX FM!!...Chuck fabbed in my lower mount when I was in Mexico, so all props to him!) track bar mounts incorporating the ram mount onto the lower. I need to get her aligned before I finish weld the tabs on the tie rod. Once "done", onto installing the WH 3-pass rad and water pump, then intake and carb.

Pix are of the two mounts and BB/F-150 box and mount.

Sean

Comment

Hey Sean, that is looking realy good! I think that is how I am going to mount my ram too. Seems like a great way to mount it. IIRC your are going to install high steer arms on your flat top knuckels? If so, make sure your track bar bracket is not going to hit your high steer arms and or tie rod when the suspension flexes. Just want to make sure you don't run into any trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68
                            Hey Sean, that is looking realy good! I think that is how I am going to mount my ram too. Seems like a great way to mount it. IIRC your are going to install high steer arms on your flat top knuckels? If so, make sure your track bar bracket is not going to hit your high steer arms and or tie rod when the suspension flexes. Just want to make sure you don't run into any trouble.

Thanks Patrick,

I decided to go with the BB/F-150 knuckles and TRO instead of high steer arms and flattops. (May be in the future when I'm "allowed" to go full-width). Going TRO with the BC bushings and Cheeby 1-ton TREs left me with a bunch of clearance with full compression.

(The upper mount is made from 3x6x3/8 box I had cut down.....a little overkill, but WOO HOO!)

Sean
                            72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
                            1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

OOPS I accidentally posted as FM>>>

Originally posted by Familyman
                              Thanks Patrick,

I decided to go with the BB/F-150 knuckles and TRO instead of high steer arms and flattops. (May be in the future when I'm "allowed" to go full-width). Going TRO with the BC bushings and Cheeby 1-ton TREs left me with a bunch of clearance with full compression.

(The upper mount is made from 3x6x3/8 box I had cut down.....a little overkill, but WOO HOO!)

Sean

Comment

Working...
                              X