Switching from Cleveland to Spicer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching from Cleveland to Spicer?

OK fellas, putting the Dana-20 back together and I pulled a Spicer style yolk off a Scout awhile back I'd like to use for the front output instead of the stock Borg Warner style. The rear was already converted to Spicer a few years ago with a new heavy duty driveline. Question is: can I just put a new Spicer style u-joint on the tranfercase side of my stock front driveline or do I need to get a new driveline built?

Thanks,
    Fungus
    Last edited by Fungus232; 06-24-2009, 07:36 AM.
    sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Re: Switching from Cleveland to Spicer?

Not a bolt on because of the drive shaft.
    Also scouts used 26 and 10 spline outputs.
    Both are non-cv shafts. Where your EB's stock driveshaft has the CV.
    Mark Harris
    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
      Not a bolt on because of the drive shaft.
      Also scouts used 26 and 10 spline outputs.
      Both are non-cv shafts. Where your EB's stock driveshaft has the CV.
      Makes total sense after looking at it! So what would be the recommendation here? I'm building a solid, Rubicon worthy rig but not a rock crawler. Trouble free and trustworthy able to tackle some decent obstacles... I'm assuming if I go with the spicer off the scout (slips right on to the front output shaft 10 spline) that I'll have to get a new front driveshaft built with new CV joint? Or, stay with the stock driveshaft up front and BW yolk? It IS a stock length driveshaft and I've got a 3.5" suspension lift so thinking its time to get a new one anyway...
      Last edited by Fungus232; 06-24-2009, 07:37 AM.

Comment

I believe the joints you're referring to are Borg-Warner joints.
        I know that the Scout outputs are non-CV, however when I bought a couple of 1310 joints from WH a while back, they told me that there was no difference in the 1310 joints used in the double cardan joint and the single joints used at the axle end. With that in mind, the Scout output yokes may well accept the CV joint. The yokes on my D20 look a whole lot like the yokes on my axles.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
          I believe the joints you're referring to are Borg-Warner joints.
          I know that the Scout outputs are non-CV, however when I bought a couple of 1310 joints from WH a while back, they told me that there was no difference in the 1310 joints used in the double cardan joint and the single joints used at the axle end. With that in mind, the Scout output yokes may well accept the CV joint. The yokes on my D20 look a whole lot like the yokes on my axles.
          Borg Warner is exactly what I meant!!! I think for now I'll just stick with the BW joint up front and stock driveshaft and update that thing later... Gotta get this thing done!

Comment

Well, the pics I've seen on WH and Tom's websites of the Dana-20 output yolk (spicer style) look EXACTLY like the output yolk I pulled off the Scout xfer case. This being the case can I assume that this yolk will work with a new spicer style driveshaft? I'm heading up that way this weekend and guess I could take the yolk with me to Wildhorses and see... Any comments on the WH front driveshafts? Seems like the price is right. I called my local shop and he quoted me $350!!!

Comment

A spicer cv yoke wont bolt to a scout yoke.
              75 302 c4 marlin crawler 20 44&9" 4.56 arb's 35"mtrs

Comment

Working...
              X