Mounting an Inboard Shock Hoop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting an Inboard Shock Hoop.

I am about to add an Inboard Rear Shock Hoop.. My question is,, Is there a desirable shock angle that I should match? My hoop has 3 holes on each side that will adjust the angle.. The bottom mounts can be welded anywhere on the axle. Are there any rules that I should follow?

Aaron
    Attached Files
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

2 things to consider:

1. The more shock angle, the less damping it has.
    2. The more angle in the rear inboard mounting the more travel you will have with the same length shock.

With that unit, I would plan on running them in the hole farthest to the outside of the rig to get the best on road handling. You will not exceed the travel restrictions in this spot if you choose the correct shock. Cross could probably tell you the exact shock to get. If not, install the hoop, flex it completely, and measure the distance between the two mounting holes. This will get you the compressed shock measurement. Subtract one inch from the measurement so that the shock doesn't bottom out in full compression. WHen you do this, have a full tank, 3 kids, and all of your gear in the rig, Hard top if you have one, spare tire, toold, etc....you get the point..
    Last edited by Delta 4 Wheel; 02-01-2006, 07:53 PM.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

I run the cross rear inbound set up. Issues to be aware of...
      The exhaust needs to modified to avoid contact with shocks under compression. Make measurements to assure the best shock selection. I have my shocks on a significant angle and have a 24" shock.
      70 Bronco with extras; 351W TBI,C-4, D20, HP44 locked w/ 4.56, locked 9" w/31spline, 35 tires, pb 4w-disc, on a 5.5 lift with WAH and Rockers.

Comment

Ya I may have to change my rear exhaust. Take it outside the frame and out the rear corners. we will see how close we can get them..
        Aaron

Originally posted by mtnbronco
        I run the cross rear inbound set up. Issues to be aware of...
        The exhaust needs to modified to avoid contact with shocks under compression. Make measurements to assure the best shock selection. I have my shocks on a significant angle and have a 24" shock.
        KK6DAD
        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Good post Aaron, getting to mine too!
          68 Slightly modified
          67 LUBR once again
          61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Broncrick
            Good post Aaron, getting to mine too!
            Thanks
            I have had mine for a while... now it's next on the list of installs.. As soon as my personal welder/fabicator is available...
            A
            KK6DAD
            70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Working...
            X