Engine Temp, what thermostat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Temp, what thermostat?

What temp thermostat is everyone running? My 68 has a 302 out of a 72 Torino and a 195 thermostat which seems to be a bit high. I was considering put in a 170 or 180.
    76 302 C4 3 1/2 on 33's
    68 302 435 5 1/2 + 2 BL on 35's Locked 44 and 9

Re: Engine Temp, what thermostat?

Originally posted by LKV76 View Post
    What temp thermostat is everyone running? My 68 has a 302 out of a 72 Torino and a 195 thermostat which seems to be a bit high. I was considering put in a 170 or 180.
    carb or efi? i run 195 'cause you need it for efi but on a carb engine i would run a 180. the older castings are thicker and don't flow as much coolant and retain more heat.
    6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

Carbed 302
      76 302 C4 3 1/2 on 33's

Comment

I run a 180 on my carbed '69 302.
        sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Not exactly sure which thermostat came in my crate motor, but my temp never rises above 170. My engine seems to run great at that temp.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
            Not exactly sure which thermostat came in my crate motor, but my temp never rises above 170. My engine seems to run great at that temp.
            yah carbs don't care what the engine temp is. they just sometimes want a choke cold.
            6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

i run 195 'cause you need it for efi but on a carb engine i would run a 180
              How hot does yours run normally. Mine runs 205-210 with 195 thermostat.
              Last edited by Rockbronco67; 06-26-2009, 10:46 AM.

Comment

mine runs 200-205 with electric fan and aluminum rad .c4 auto. i'm going to run a remote fan cooled trans cooler to dump the hot trans fluid out of the rad.

Comment

Mine wants to climb up to 210 215 idleing up the trail but will cool down if i bump the idle up, Put a new 180 high flow thermo and a flo kooler water pump and a 55 gallon drum of water wetter and it still wants to get up there, sooo getting rid of the flex fan and going steel ridged and a new shroud, hopefully this will help!!!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

sooo getting rid of the flex fan and going steel ridged and a new shroud, hopefully this will help!!!!!
                    I don't know if that will help because I have dual Spal fans and a aluminum radiator and mine is right there also. What is the danager zone if it wants to run at 210.

Comment

I changed my thermostat to a 160 and took it for a drive. It climbed to 200 on the highway and 210 on the trails. Air temp in the low 80's. I have a new high flow water pump but stock rad. I am planning on putting in a fan shroud and hopefully that will help. If not the next step is a new rad.
                      76 302 C4 3 1/2 on 33's

Comment

I have been told that 195 is just the car companies stickin to the safe zone, that some more power can be squeezed out of an engine at a little higher but provisions have to be made with Higher PSI caps etc.

Comment

I have to run 180 on my carbed 302. might even work with 170.

seems to be an issue with me about overheating.
                          What can I fix next?

Comment

Working...
                          X