flat towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flat towing

Can I flat tow, 3spd man with dana 20? Do I have to disconnect the rear shaft(I'd rather not).
    This will be towed behind my motorhome.

Re: flat towing

If you flat tow a bronco the t-case bearings will be constantly spinning. I have done it, with no adverse affects, but it us not reccomended. You can just remove the axle end of the driveshaft and tie it up to the frame.
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I would definitely disconnect the rear driveshaft. However it's been my experience that my Bronco does not like to be flat towed. I used to move it between my side yard and garage on a tow bar and it was not fun and a real pain to back up. I am sure my setup was far from ideal in terms of how the tow bar was mounted, but regardless I sure wouldn't want to tow it very far with all 4 wheels on the ground.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Yes disconnect the rear driveline, wont oil. And Mark will chime in on flat towing mishaps I'm sure I wouldnt....
        68 Slightly modified
        67 LUBR once again
        61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Broncrick View Post
          Yes disconnect the rear driveline, wont oil. And Mark will chime in on flat towing mishaps I'm sure I wouldnt....
          LOL!
          Flat towing sucks!
          Beg, borrow, rent, steal, a trailer.
          Mark Harris
          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

An EB is a lot of weight to tow without brakes. Get a trailer.
            70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

I flat towed mine from Northern Idaho to New Mexico with a half ton chevy. I don't recommend it, but if you do, take your time, and don't make any quick moves. Mine towed well, but it still did get a little controlling in ruts, and if I tried to pass a semi on the freeway.
              Marc D.
              If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I flat towed a pro street Nova from Oklahoma to Auburn with my dad. Worst 3 days of my life and I've been on life support twice
                My dad went too fast around a bend, lost control and shot my hot rod out into the desert in the middle of the night. Got a great story about a 45 minute chat at 3:30 am with 2 CHP officers will I had a cocked and locked 45 down the front of my pants.

I really don't know how I've lived this long

Get a trailer
                Last edited by blwngsket; 06-29-2009, 05:44 PM.
                1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

as far as weight, not worried about that. This would be towed behind a 27' motorhome.
                  I also can't go very fast or make sudden moves, but backing up would be a nightmare.

Looking to take it when I go camping, approx 2 hr drives.

Comment

One of the biggest thinks on towing a bronco is to make sure you have lots of caster.
                    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                    After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

My grandpa lost his WWII Willy's Jeep flat towing it up in the Sierra's on a fishing trip. Over the bank it went and the thing was completely destroyed, even the ignition key in the dash was bent. The tow bar came off the bumper.
                      I learned to drive in that Jeep when I was 11. Willy's MB/CJ2A and Ford GPW's are not heeps, they are Jeeps.

We had my EB on a trailer in Utah on a forest road at 9000 ft in October. It snowed and the road off the mountain turned to pure snot. the mud there used to be ocean floor, so you can imagine how silty it gets when saturated.

We loaded up and headed out so we wouldn't get stuck up on the mountain in several feet of snow. At the first turn, the weight of the trailer and EB just pushed my buddies 3/4 ton chebby 4x4 truck straight even though his wheels were turned. We were headed straight towards one hell of a drop-off!

He started to go for the brake and I yelled at him to hit the gas. He nailed the gas and with all four tires spinning we barely pulled it around the corner and away from the edge. This is going all of about 3 MPH. We stopped, unloaded and I followed him all the way off the mountain.
                      Last edited by Sierra Backwoods; 06-29-2009, 10:13 PM.
                      70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

Get a trailor. I only made it around the block once flat towing and decited to get a trailor.
                        1974EB 302v8, NP435, dana 20 twinstick, dana 44, 9 inch Detriot Locker's, 4.88 gears, front disk, Rockbox, wild horses 4.5 inch lift, 4 wheel Warn Full Floater, 35 Super Swamp Bogers.

Comment

What makes it so bad? Is it because the bronco is short wheelbase?
                          Im not worried about the weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyoda View Post
                            What makes it so bad? Is it because the bronco is short wheelbase?
                            Im not worried about the weight.
                            Short wheel base, straight axle, lack of caster angle, worse if lifted and on big rubber, and yes you will need to disconect the driveshaft or you will burn up the t-case. Pluss if ya break it , ya can still get it home on a trailer...and with a trailer you can back up if ya have to...
                            Last edited by TBS-POPS; 07-01-2009, 07:30 PM.
                            72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                            BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                            RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Flat towing never ends well
                              Brad
                              Chico, Ca.

Comment

Working...
                              X