Steering column bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering column bearing?

Well while removing my steering column extension from the column to the steering box I found out that the lower bearing in the steering column is loose. There is no balls in the bearing! I have never tried to remove the bearing before. Any advise? Not sure how to get the rag joint end off the shaft either.
    Thanks in advanced,
    PS I did a search and found nothing.
    1974EB 302v8, NP435, dana 20 twinstick, dana 44, 9 inch Detriot Locker's, 4.88 gears, front disk, Rockbox, wild horses 4.5 inch lift, 4 wheel Warn Full Floater, 35 Super Swamp Bogers.

Re: Steering column bearing?

What do I have to do to get a answer? Hope this helps.:-)
    http://www.full-breasts.com/0906/11/...fiachair10.jpg
    1974EB 302v8, NP435, dana 20 twinstick, dana 44, 9 inch Detriot Locker's, 4.88 gears, front disk, Rockbox, wild horses 4.5 inch lift, 4 wheel Warn Full Floater, 35 Super Swamp Bogers.

Comment

I think I have to pull the column then pull the shaft from the bottom to get the lower bearing off. I looked at the diagram hear. http://broncograveyard.com/dia/6/clmdia.jpg

Comment

If you disconnect the steering shaft (going to the steering box) you can pull the bearing out from the bottom leaving the column shaft in place. Depending on what type of steering shaft you have you may have to loosen the column or steering box to get it off.
        69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Randy,
          dont post pictures of my girlfriend please. ok you didnt believe that. fine. if you get the rag joint off, pull the old bearing out ang go to orchard. in thier specialty bins you will find a flanged bearing that fita the shaft (3/4 i think) and the outside of the flange fits in the column. then to keep it in place, use a shaft collar. if you dont have one I have. there will be a slight amount of preload between the top bearing and the bottom,
          Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

I unbolted the rag joint from the flange, the flange is still on the shaft. I spent the whole day working on my sons 65 Impala never touched the Bronco. But it is not over heating now, turned out to be a bad thermostat.
            Last edited by RandyatBBY; 07-05-2009, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyatBBY View Post
              I unbolted the rag joint from the flange, the flange is still on the shaft. I spent the whole day working on my sons 65 Impala never touched the Bronco. But it is not over heating now, turned out to be a bad thermostat.
              you are going to swear that the rag flange will not come off but it does with a puller. the plate will probably bend a lot before it pops off, there are new direct replacement bearings that are one piece sealed units to get rid of all the slop.the bearing will go in from the bottom once you get that rag flange off.
              Last edited by Fordfreak; 07-06-2009, 04:47 AM.
              6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

Looks Like I need a puller

Comment

i have a good one if you need it!
                  6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

i have a good one if you need it! but there has to be someone closer,

Comment

Originally posted by Fordfreak View Post
                      you are going to swear that the rag flange will not come off but it does with a puller. the plate will probably bend a lot before it pops off, there are new direct replacement bearings that are one piece sealed units to get rid of all the slop.the bearing will go in from the bottom once you get that rag flange off.
                      I bought a two jaw gear puller and striped the threads. I really think it is on the shaft for good.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyatBBY View Post
                        I bought a two jaw gear puller and striped the threads. I really think it is on the shaft for good.
                        i have had to use my balncer puller on those to get them off. i just did my friends 1971 f-100 last week for a p/s upgrade and i thought i might have to press it off after removing the shaft,but it finally popped. use a flat plate type puller and bolt it too the rag coupler. make sure the center bolt is actually hitting the slightly recessed shaft and not the coupler your trying to remove. done that one myself when i didnt see my adapter fall out. did you heat it after you got some pressure on it?

Comment

Working...
                        X