York Compressor HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• York Compressor HELP

I haven't heard anything regaurding my mounting location for the York compressor(previous thread,Air Compressor Mounting). Is anyone out there?? I could use your input,I know some of you are running the York setup. Any how after much internet research I have read that you can mount the compressor vert. or horiz. AND I have read that you can ONLY mount it Vert. Which is it?I want to mount mine Horiz. Will it leak oil if mounted horiz requiring the use of some sort of external oiler? Which by the way defeats the purpose of using a York in the firstplace... HELP pleeezz
    sigpic68' 351W ,Nothing stock except transfer case:

Re: York Compressor HELP

Originally posted by FLYINHIE View Post
    I haven't heard anything regaurding my mounting location for the York compressor(previous thread,Air Compressor Mounting). Is anyone out there?? I could use your input,I know some of you are running the York setup. Any how after much internet research I have read that you can mount the compressor vert. or horiz. AND I have read that you can ONLY mount it Vert. Which is it?I want to mount mine Horiz. Will it leak oil if mounted horiz requiring the use of some sort of external oiler? Which by the way defeats the purpose of using a York in the firstplace... HELP pleeezz
    I ran mine horizontally for years with no issues. It was mounted on top of the alternator with a stock Bronco V-belt setup. I just had to add a three groove crank pulley. I passed the system on to Trailbound. I now run a sanden compressor with a serpentine front dress.
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

I found this on Kilby's website... "When the York compressor is mounted on its side, the suction port has to be on top in order to function properly" I have seen them mounted on the side before. While Yorks used to be used on oem cars in the 70's and earlier, they are still used on big rigs. Some of them com from the factory with the compressor mounted horizontally. I believe you can remove the head and flip it 180 degrees to get the suction port on the top, if your bracket has it sitting so the suction port is on the bottom. If you take the compressor apart to change the direction of the head you can get gaskets for your compressor from Kilby, just click on the link.
      SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Thanks for the help guyz,any advice is better than no advice. Here are some pics of the proposed routing of v-belts and mounting location of compressor.
        Attached Files

Comment

I'd use a splice in the rope instead of a knot, should run through the pully better.

Comment

Originally posted by tortuga View Post
            I'd use a splice in the rope instead of a knot, should run through the pully better.
            If you need instructions on how to long splice rope I can get you them. With the long splice you wont even be able to tell where it is if it is done right. Wow! 5 two letter words in a row.
            Marc D.
            If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

WOW I'm so glad I came to this site for advise you guyz are the best.I think I'll go set myself on fire now.....

Comment

If it is to be it is up to me.

Here's 10 in a row!

I've run mine horizontally too. I know others have also. I would of liked it better vertically but the hood gets in the way of the stock brackets. I know it can be done but you'll probably need to make up your own brackets.

Comment

Working...
                X