No announcement yet.

Soft tops: need one. Which is the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft tops: need one. Which is the best?

Going topless all day in the high Sierra's is awesome, but the kids freeze their butts off going 65 MPH at 8000 ft elevation heading home late in the day.

In addition, I'm trailering the rig to Oregon for a bear hunt in September, which means a 1 to 1.5 hr drive in the dark each morning, hunt all day with the top off, then drive back after dark. Last year it was below freezing. At 60 MPH, that gets cold!

Who makes the best top that can drop on and off during the day? I have a BestTop on my CJ-5, there must be something better?
    70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Re: Soft tops: need one. Which is the best?

The best soft top IMHO is the $pendy top from BC Broncos. It is very well made but at $1500 or so, it had better be! If I get to the point where I don't want to restore my hard top (I'm already about half way there), it is probably the way I'll eventually go. To me it looks like a top that belongs on a Defender 90.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

I got a soft top from WH love it about $700.00 thought. http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bestop_Top
      1974EB 302v8, NP435, dana 20 twinstick, dana 44, 9 inch Detriot Locker's, 4.88 gears, front disk, Rockbox, wild horses 4.5 inch lift, 4 wheel Warn Full Floater, 35 Super Swamp Bogers.

Comment

Thanks. Do you know if you can fold it down out on the trail?
        70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra Backwoods View Post
          Thanks. Do you know if you can fold it down out on the trail?
          It would take a bit of work for mine. If I was to adapt the front bracket it could be changed to be removed. It is bolted on the front. All the windows come out and I remove the doors. I like shade.
          1974EB 302v8, NP435, dana 20 twinstick, dana 44, 9 inch Detriot Locker's, 4.88 gears, front disk, Rockbox, wild horses 4.5 inch lift, 4 wheel Warn Full Floater, 35 Super Swamp Bogers.

Comment

The Speedy Trac top from Rampage (a close copy of the old Kayline and STC Tops) is probbaly the fastest to fold up and down, The bestop is close but a takes a while to get the window out of the windshield channel. I have a speedytrack and usually leave it up and just take the windows in and out. The BC Bronocos top ilooks very sturdy, but doesn't fold down, but the windows should come out pretty fast.
            Last edited by highlander; 07-14-2009, 03:30 PM.
            69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Working...
            X