435 shifter wont fit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 435 shifter wont fit!

Got my tranny in, boy was that fun! Went to put the shifter in and it wont fit, made sure the pins were set and even, they were, meas the space between the pins and then the slots in the shifter ball, too narrow in the top case!

I bought this from a Bronco guy that went auto. Are there different shifters?? almost got the grinder out! damn I just want to drive it!

Rick-
    68 Slightly modified
    67 LUBR once again
    61 Willy Wagon

Did you get the shifter from the same guy? Did he say he had it in his before? It is a tight a$$ fit but should go. If you do not have the trany in nutral the pin holes will not lign up correctly. I am sure you know it will need to be bent to clear your dash and all.

Kevin
    71 EB 56K original miles stock for now!

73 EB/rock buggy 351W EFI, Art Car C-4 manual VB w/ comp braking, 37 MTR's, 4-Link F&R, Fox Air 16", Full Hydro and now it runs!

51 F1 PU with MII front end, T-Bird IRS

70 C10 SWB, 92 LT1 vett motor, 700R4, power everything, great driving street rig.

Comment

Originally posted by Rokcrln
      Did you get the shifter from the same guy? Did he say he had it in his before? It is a tight a$$ fit but should go. If you do not have the trany in nutral the pin holes will not lign up correctly. I am sure you know it will need to be bent to clear your dash and all.

Kevin
      I am assuming (stretch I know) that it was because it is bent for the dash and came w/the tranny. I know they are supposed to be tight, but 1/8th seems a bit much to 'coax' steel....
      68 Slightly modified
      67 LUBR once again
      61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Guess I'm going to pull the top case pins and grind a 1/16th off each.... retainer/spring will still work, things we go through adapting
        68 Slightly modified
        67 LUBR once again
        61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Left the pins alone and took a few 32nds off the shifter ball and all is well. My panic was for not (at least something I couldnt fix w/more power)
          68 Slightly modified
          67 LUBR once again
          61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Broncrick
            Left the pins alone and took a few 32nds off the shifter ball and all is well. My panic was for not (at least something I couldnt fix w/more power)

More power!!!!
            KK6DAD
            70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Working...
            X