I hate Detroits!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate Detroits!!

Anybody know why Detroits clank and clunk and pop and throw you sideways on the street when you least expect it??? Works great off road but on the street it a PITA!!!
    Last edited by TBS-POPS; 08-02-2009, 04:05 PM.
    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Re: I hate Detroits!!

Hmm. i had one in a truck a while back. it never really made noise on road. it would lock up though when i put the throttle down in a corner. perhaps it never made noise because i would always soft pedal through the sharper corners, to keep it from locking up and changing my turning attitude. Never had it throw me sideways though. it sounds like you're getting on it really hard, or got a lot more motor than mine had.

Comment

Time for an ARB baby!!!!

Comment

It sounds like yours is the old 'hard' Detroit locker. They are much more aggresive than the newer 'soft' lockers. I've had both in varous rigs over the years and I can say the soft lockers have much better street manners than the older ones that are more suited for offroad or the race track.

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
          Time for an ARB baby!!!!
          Or a spool.....
          No clicking and clunking here, just a little chirping around corners.
          SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
            Or a spool.....
            No clicking and clunking here, just a little chirping around corners.
            Agreed, I didnt really mind my spool, you knew exactly what to expect and no moving parts to break, well except axles. I did go to the ARB in the rear on mine but that was because I wanted the ability to unlock when needed.

I had a Detroit in the front of mine and a simple stub snap turned costly. Somehow I did get it warrantied but it took 6 months of being a PIA. I run a Aussie in the front for now till I can afford another ARB.

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

I love my ARB. This being said, I've been in vehicles with detroits that didn't seem as harsh as what you describe Jeff. Not sure what to think. Have you had it apart and looked at it? Just to make sure things are working right if nothing else.
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

I had a detroit in my 9" and now in my 60. Never had a problem.

Comment

I hated my Detroit.. same problems... went to a spool its nice and predictable.. It will be coming out in a few weeks for the arb install.
                  KK6DAD
                  70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockbronco67 View Post
                    I had a detroit in my 9" and now in my 60. Never had a problem.
                    are ther only 2 od us? i love mine in the shelby and my old jeep so shoved one in the rear of the bronco too.
                    6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

Originally posted by Fordfreak View Post
                      are ther only 2 od us? i love mine in the shelby and my old jeep so shoved one in the rear of the bronco too.
                      I have had really no problem with mine , I dies clank and pop once and a while but it is what it does never bothered me.
                      1974EB 302v8, NP435, dana 20 twinstick, dana 44, 9 inch Detriot Locker's, 4.88 gears, front disk, Rockbox, wild horses 4.5 inch lift, 4 wheel Warn Full Floater, 35 Super Swamp Bogers.

Comment

I get a little inside tire chirp around a corner with mine, but that's it. No complaints. I didn't build it for street driving.
                        70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

I like mine, it's a newer soft locker. I also have an auto tranny, that might make a difference.
                          77 Ranger, 302, C4, 4.88's, Detroits, 35 spline 9", WH 5.5", 3" BL, 37" BFG KM2's on Walker Evans 17" beadlocks

Comment

I love mine! I got the soft locker as well. I like it so much I put one in the front too. I just couldn't spend another $350 when I was putting the front end together. Time will tell if I blow and axle and the detroit...
                            71 Bronco
                            EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
                            Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

damn i had the old style... although tough as nails,,,, very unpredictable... load and unload would wake you up and change lanes.. hmmmmmm....
                              KK6DAD
                              70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Working...
                              X