Stupid fuel system!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid fuel system!!!!

Well, I've been slowly building my bronco for about 3-4 years, and the reason it is taking so long is the small budget. But it seems that every time I get close to finishing something, I have to take two steps back and fix something else. The newest problem occurred two weeks ago, although I just found out today. I ran the tank out of gas(stock tank, frame mounted EFI fuel pump with EFI filter). I went to go start it today, with 5 gallons of fresh gas and it won't start. In the process of starting it, my half-dead starter took a crap. So I bought a reman starter. Now it cranks, but wouldn't fire. It has spark, but no fuel pressure. The fuel pump runs, but doesn't pump, and won't build pressure. I bought the pump new at Kragen auto parts about 3 years ago, but it has probably only run 3 tanks through it since, because my bronco isn't done yet. So after all of my babbling I come to the question finally. Are frame mounted pumps generally that quick to burn up when the tank is run dry? Do the vanes in the pump actually fail, or is the motor?

What is everyone else doing for their EFI fuel systems?
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Re: Stupid fuel system!!!!

I'm running a LP Carter on my frame close to the tank to a BCB accumulator and then a HP Airtex on my fender. Have you tried to re-prime it before trying to start it up?
    '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Originally posted by FFMDX View Post
      I'm running a LP Carter on my frame close to the tank to a BCB accumulator and then a HP Airtex on my fender. Have you tried to re-prime it before trying to start it up?
      X2! This is the set up that I have had on mine for the past 4 years with no issues at all. (knock on wood)

Comment

I think I'll get a low pressure pump and the BC accumulator. Hopefully my HP pump just lost it's prime and isn't dead.
        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Make sure your return line isn't plugged or pinched off also. I drug a guy for many miles once because of that.
          Marc D.
          If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I have read that high pressure pumps have priming issues. That is why a lot people use the dual low pressure/high pressure pumps. The low pressure pump pulls the fuel out of the tank and supplies the high pressure pump. So if you ran your tank dry the pump is likely having a hard time priming. Try filling the tank all the way to make sure the pump is lower than the top level of the fuel in the tank.

Comment

i run bc's tank with the pump in the tank. my 90 truck with 342k has had one pump at about 110k. the fuel keeps the pump cool and being submerged never has a prime issue. i really tossed it back and forth thinking about trail replacement, but will just keep the cooler full. i also put in an external pump that will plug in to my harness for an emergency.
              6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

I run filter-LP on frame at tank, then filter-HP on fenderwell in engine bay. I think Gil is right on, prime issue
                68 Slightly modified
                67 LUBR once again
                61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by gddyap View Post
                  I have read that high pressure pumps have priming issues. That is why a lot people use the dual low pressure/high pressure pumps. The low pressure pump pulls the fuel out of the tank and supplies the high pressure pump. So if you ran your tank dry the pump is likely having a hard time priming. Try filling the tank all the way to make sure the pump is lower than the top level of the fuel in the tank.
                  I agree, I also would not get an accumulator. I just don't think they are needed.
                  If you want to prime it the fun way, just put your mouth on the filler neck and blow. You should be able to push enough through to prime it.
                  Mark Harris
                  71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

You can also prime the system with your future lp pump. get it all plumbed and wired, then ground out the fuel system to turn the pumps on. You can do this via your eec test connection. Fordfuelinjection.com has a write up on this as well.
                    Last edited by FFMDX; 09-04-2009, 07:49 AM.
                    '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                      I agree, I also would not get an accumulator. I just don't think they are needed.
                      If you want to prime it the fun way, just put your mouth on the filler neck and blow. You should be able to push enough through to prime it.
                      this does indeed work, did it on my new tank. Gives you a little head rush too!
                      1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

Originally posted by SonicDonkey View Post
                        this does indeed work, did it on my new tank. Gives you a little head rush too!

Better then whip cream cans
                        Mark Harris
                        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                          I was going to say to suck on the output of the pump.

Comment

I was going to say to suck on the output of the pump.[/QUOTE]. Hey lets keep this a clean thread
                            69, 7" lift,D-44 with air locker, 9" 35 spl full floater with a locker, 4-wheel disc, custom paint, one off custom mods, Hanson bumpers and side protection, 35's on Champion beadlocks.

Comment

Originally posted by BRONKEN View Post
                              I was going to say to suck on the output of the pump.
                              . Hey lets keep this a clean thread [/QUOTE]

Well, blowing on the intake side doesn't work so good.....

Comment

Working...
                              X