Axle tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle tech

I know that there has been alot of axle swap done like this one.Any Info would help...I got a good deal on a set of 78 full size Bronco axle FRT and REAR.....1 How much wider are they then the axles out of a 72 Bronco...2 What are the good and bad of the full size....3 Any mock up on the frt axle I now that I will have to put new pads on rear axle....4 What are a set of 72 Bronco axle going for (Disk Front and small bearing 9in rear with spool and 3.50 gears..Thanks Dustin....Or just run some 60s Front and Rear ...I have Bulit 302 NP 435 Dana 20

Re: Axle tech

What are your goals for your rig?

I believe the big bronco axles are 65" WMS to WMS. EB axles are around 60" WMS to WMS. I may be wrong but if memory serves the FSB axles are a BB 9" rear and a High Pinion D44 front. Both are desirable. If you are building a crawler the extra width is nice for stability, but you then have to deal with the possibility of fix-it tickets for wheels that are not covered, and depending on the wheel backspacing you run, being too wide to squeeze through certain obstacles (including the posts at Barrett Lake, etc).

Obviously if you're going to run big tires, bigger axles are better. A D60 front and built up BB 9" out back would be a good solid running gear. There are about a million pros and cons. Like I said, assess your goals for your rig and that'll help you decide whether this is a good deal...
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

Thanks CityHick Iam looking for a all around rig....My last rig was a trailer queen(Yota).I can hear it already.LOL

Comment

Originally posted by WHEELER2ROC View Post
        I know that there has been alot of axle swap done like this one.Any Info would help...I got a good deal on a set of 78 full size Bronco axle FRT and REAR.....1 How much wider are they then the axles out of a 72 Bronco...2 What are the good and bad of the full size....3 Any mock up on the frt axle I now that I will have to put new pads on rear axle....4 What are a set of 72 Bronco axle going for (Disk Front and small bearing 9in rear with spool and 3.50 gears..Thanks Dustin....Or just run some 60s Front and Rear ...I have Bulit 302 NP 435 Dana 20
        if you cut exactly 6 inches of the long side of the 44 you end up being able to use the eb axle. i just finished doing that same thing to mine as i couldn't find a good deal on a stock eb disc front and didn't want driveline angle problems. the reverse cut r&p is much stronger than a low pinion and i didn't want 60 weight. check this http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...ord_dana44.htm out and see if it helps.
        6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
          I believe the big bronco axles are 65" WMS to WMS. EB axles are around 60" WMS to WMS.
          I hate to ask noob questions. I know it is the axle width measurement, but what does WMS mean?
          77 Ranger, 302, C4, 4.88's, Detroits, 35 spline 9", WH 5.5", 3" BL, 37" BFG KM2's on Walker Evans 17" beadlocks

Comment

WMS=Wheel mount surface
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
              WMS=Wheel mount surface
              Copy, Thanks!
              77 Ranger, 302, C4, 4.88's, Detroits, 35 spline 9", WH 5.5", 3" BL, 37" BFG KM2's on Walker Evans 17" beadlocks

Comment

If you search here and Classic Bronco's you will see that is a SUPER popular swap, commonaly called going full width.
                To put it simple, with a 78/79 D44 front, IMO it's best to run longer arms and just pull them into the frame and make new radius arm mounts.
                the 75-77 Dana 44's are better because you can cut the C wedges off and move them in, but it's not a big deal.
                Mark Harris
                71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Thanks WELNDMN....Iam going to make longer are when I do the swap.I was looikg at running some Jonny Joints or 1in Heim Joints.

Comment

Arms ....Whoops

Comment

Originally posted by WHEELER2ROC View Post
                      Arms ....Whoops
                      you can edit your post after you post it FYI

Comment

When I did mine, I spaced my radius arm frame mounts out 1" on each side, there is no binding at ride height that way. I think my arms are 40+" long, can't remember exactly how long, 10-11" over stock with 3" Ballistic joints.
                        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Working...
                        X