stretched wheelbase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stretched wheelbase

With all the rain and no wheeling I can't stop thinking of my next project. So to all you who have done it or are thinking about it, I pose the question. How much would you push your front end forward and your rear rearward.

The rear-

From what I can see with leaf springs about 4" back is the max. Of course this included stretching your wheelwells, relocating your bumpstops, leaf spring hangers, axle wrap bar (if ya got one)refabbing your rear cross member, moving shock mounts (may not be necessary),and finally pushing your fuel tank back far enough to clear the rear axle on articulation. Relocate fuel filler door/cap, plus miscellaneous lines. Am I missing anything???

For more then 4" ,the above list would include the above (give or take) some sort of 3 or 4 link, plus notching the gas tank so the rearend would still not hit the tank or buying a fuel cell. This one is definitely more pricy because we still haven't discussed springs or shocks.

The front -

Now I am trying to figure this one out. Obviously you would relocate steering box, trac bar mount, coil buckets, shock hoops, radius arm frame mounts and bump stops. Clearance the fenders and it should work? Right?

3-4" seems to be the average amount the front gets pushed forward. I am thinking 4-6" and realize that this is the max if I choose to keep my stock steering box. I thought WELNDMN had pushed his front forward about 4" but had steering problems. I am interested in any steering problems I might create since my hope is to keep it steetable with the use of a normal ps box.

All ideas appreciated, FM
    72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
    1 Cor 16:13-14

I haven't moved my front (yet) so I can't speak to that but as far as the rear is concerned, I think you've covered everything that I did when I move my rear back 4 inches. The only thing that kept me from going back more was the gas tank. If you want to notch the tank or go to a fuel cell, you could go back more.

Comment

Thanks Crawling, I was hoping I had caught everything based on your write-up and photo's and a few I got elsewhere. Its not a small task so I am planning to do it later but planning non the less.
      72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
      1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

What kind of wheelbase are you looking for? I'm at 100" with the stock tank in the stock location, but thats with a 4 link rear and 3 link front. I think it's just a little bit more work as moving leaves, but since it's going to keep raining for a while I say link it.
        67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
        69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
        69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
        79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
        67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

Ya, I'd say link as well. You'll be going through the works and you'll have a nice long WB you'll love it, then you'll say I should have link it. Why would you bother with notching the tank, when you could buy a custon fuel cell to fit where ever and you wouldn't have to worry about leaks. Plus the tank would be a safety issue more then a $$$$ issue. Thats my cents!!!
          Chris
          70 EB, Frame up project, NP 435/203/205, FW hp d44, fw 9", EFI 302, Crab cage, Hanson front and rear

Comment

No matter what, I would get the fuel cell. When we were wheeling at Hollister after Jerry's BBQ there were more than one bronco leaking out of there stock tanks or fillers. My fuel cell is vented, but has a roll over check valve, and when it was on its side it still didn't leak. Peace of mind.

Oh yeah, link it.
            Marc D.
            If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I moved the rear back about 5-6". I also moved the stock tank up 3" and back as far as I could.(thanks 3" body lift). I didnt modify the stock crossmember(so far no problems)!
              Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle dixie?

Comment

Working...
              X