Cooling Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling Q's

I drove the bronco to south sac today, on the freeway. It ran at 200 degrees. A lot hotter then it used to. I am pretty sure it is due to the winch in front of the grill. Has anyone removed the vertical piece of inner fender next to the headers? Did it help with cooling? How about removing the air intake for the heater? I may remove it also this summer. It isn't even hot out yet and the issues are starting.
    1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

my friend removed his inner skirts and it did not help.
    He finally put in a huge fan in front of the radiator 18"...
    70 Bronco with extras; 351W TBI,C-4, D20, HP44 locked w/ 4.56, locked 9" w/31spline, 35 tires, pb 4w-disc, on a 5.5 lift with WAH and Rockers.

Comment

I did not notice any diffrence when I added my winch. I did add a 4 core radiator this winter .. Just in case.. I do not have a fan shroud.. I dont know if they help any.. If I start to have trouble I will be getting a diffrent hood with HOLES and vents... Marc likes his hood and he's running a 351.. Move air In/Out.. My vote is for a new hood.... OH But you have a custom paint job and that would be hard to match!!

Aaron
      KK6DAD
      70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Glad you like my paint job. My winch sits about a half inch from the grill and sits a little higher then yours. I have thought about a scoop or a new hood. A new hood is $350 so I may go for a scoop. I only have a 14" pusher fan now so I may upgrade it as well. I also bought a new Flex Lite fan. When I put the cam in it is going on as well.
        1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

Originally posted by kwspony
          Glad you like my paint job. My winch sits about a half inch from the grill and sits a little higher then yours. I have thought about a scoop or a new hood. A new hood is $350 so I may go for a scoop. I only have a 14" pusher fan now so I may upgrade it as well. I also bought a new Flex Lite fan. When I put the cam in it is going on as well.
          1/2 " from the grill wow thats close.. Scoops are cool and you can paint them to match your current design.. cool..

Aaron
          KK6DAD
          70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

This is just my opinion.
            Actually a scoop can make things worse by forcing air in through the hood, and pressurizing the engine compartment. This will make it harder for the air to travel through the radiator. You will need to get a way for the air to exit the engine compartment, and if you can direct the air coming in the grill through the radiator, ie shroud on top of core support sealing it to the hood, and block the holes on the side, this should also help. One other thing is to check your radiator cap, and make sure the seal on it isn't swollen. This can also cause a heating issue.
            I just mounted a winch on mine, and I had to cut up my grill severly. When I get back from the 40th, I will post up pics. My winch is about two inches from my radiator.
            Aaron, fan shrouds really do work.
            Marc D.
            If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Working...
            X