Mineral based oils vs synthetic oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mineral based oils vs synthetic oil

I used a SAE 10w-30 mineral based oil to break in my motor. I was thinking of changing to the Royal Purple SAE 10w-30 synthetic oil. I recall hearing switch from a mineral based to a synthetic oil isn't a good idea. Any info would be great.
    69 Bronco, FI 351W, NP-435 Trans, Dana20, Dana 44 w/ARB Air locker, BB 9" w/Detroit Locker, Fab-Tech ext. Radius arms, Fox shocks coil over frnt suspension.

Re: Mineral based oils vs synthetic oil

Originally posted by Bronco95125 View Post
    I used a SAE 10w-30 mineral based oil to break in my motor. I was thinking of changing to the Royal Purple SAE 10w-30 synthetic oil. I recall hearing switch from a mineral based to a synthetic oil isn't a good idea. Any info would be great.
    You have to use a mineral based oil with zinc on a solid tappet cam during break in... Not on a roller motor though... Once the motor is broken in, you can switch to Syn. The rumor is that: a motor with alot of miles on it, that sometimes if you switch to Syn from a mineral based, the seals and gaskest may start leaking. I will be switching my 7.3 diesel motor over to syn this summer, it will have 115k on it then. I hope that there will be no issues...
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Doug is right about the zinc needed especially during engine break-in with a flat tappet cam. There is actually not enough zinc in any mineral-based oil now (aside from some of the diesel oils like Rotella) to protect a flat tappet cam. I spoke to Ford Racing about this after I bought my crate motor and they advised that I use cam break-in additive in whatever oil I run in that motor, forever, or at least until I switch to a roller cam (its a roller block with a flat tappet cam installed).
      I ran mineral-based oil with Red Line's cam additive for my first year or so of driving (2500 miles or so), and now I run Red Line full synthetic. I called Red Line's tech line and they assured me that their synthetic oils contain the needed zinc for my cam. So far so good...
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Thanks for the great info guy's.
        69 Bronco, FI 351W, NP-435 Trans, Dana20, Dana 44 w/ARB Air locker, BB 9" w/Detroit Locker, Fab-Tech ext. Radius arms, Fox shocks coil over frnt suspension.

Comment

Working...
        X