Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NV4500 overhaul shop needed

Hi all-

My NV4500 is heading south. Got 5 years and 25k miles out of a well-used transmission that only cost me $450 so no complaints, but it's getting really noisy and now the synchros are starting to get slow.

I originally figured on rebuilding it myself since it sounds like it would be an interesting project, but I need to stay focused on my airplane project. Soooo, I'm looking for advice on a good (reliable, honest, trustworthy, experienced, blah, blah blah) transmission overhaul shop in NorCal. Sacramento would be ideal, but I'm willing to haul the thing within 2 hours of Davis if need be.

TIA for suggestions!
    1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
    I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Re: NV4500 overhaul shop needed

Originally posted by Lars View Post
    Hi all-

My NV4500 is heading south. Got 5 years and 25k miles out of a well-used transmission that only cost me $450 so no complaints, but it's getting really noisy and now the synchros are starting to get slow.

I originally figured on rebuilding it myself since it sounds like it would be an interesting project, but I need to stay focused on my airplane project. Soooo, I'm looking for advice on a good (reliable, honest, trustworthy, experienced, blah, blah blah) transmission overhaul shop in NorCal. Sacramento would be ideal, but I'm willing to haul the thing within 2 hours of Davis if need be.

TIA for suggestions!
    Chip uses an old school guy in Stockton, he did my ZF...
    68 Slightly modified
    67 LUBR once again
    61 Willy Wagon

Comment

PM TBS-POPS (Jeff Y.) He has a great guy that did my rear end.

Rick...Did George do yours?
      {o===o}
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
      I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I've always heard good things about Bayshore Truck and they have a Sacramento location. Not sure about prices - they were reasonable/competitive with my driveline mods.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

I have always known of Monroe Transmission in Newcastle doing a great job. I havent taken anything there myself but have always heard great things about them.

Kyle

Comment

If you are willing to drive down to dublin...

Schucks Transmissions
            {o===o}
            Originally posted by TBS-POPS
            EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
            I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
              He has a great guy that did my rear end.

Rick...Did George do yours?
              Freaking FAGS!!
              “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Lars View Post
                Hi all-

TIA for suggestions!
                Fine someone who knows how to fix the fifth gear and other weak issues. PM Patrick (crawlin68) for what needs to be done.

This is who built mine, POPS, and Chips trannies.

A-1 Transmission 3132 North Wilson Way, Stockton, CA 95205(209) 466-0151 Ask for Eric. ask to pay cash and it is a lot cheaper!!
                “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

A-1 for autos, A&A MANUAL TRANS ON WILSON WY. in Stockton. Old guys that do things the old way. It was going to be around $900 to do a ZF complete, but I dont know how that compares to a NV.....
                  72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                  BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                  RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

A-1 quoted me $1,200 to rebuild the C4 in my '65 Mustang. Crazy.....

Comment

Thanks, all. Enough info to start making phone calls.

Bayshore Truck has a West Sacramento location, only 15 minutes from me. Handy if I decide to use them.

My NV4500 is from a gas truck. Technically it has the same weak 5th gear problem as all of them, but as far as I know it's only been an issue with diesels. My transmission was well-worn when I got it; I checked 5th gear before I installed the tranny (easy to do, just pull the output housing and it's right there) and all was well. Hopefully no issues there as it's an expensive fix if you want to do it right. We'll see.

In any case I don't expect it to be cheap. Probably on par with that ZF rebuild.

Thanks again!

Comment

The guys on Trucks said the remedy to that problem(before it fails) is to spot weld the 5th gear nut to the main shaft. Their theory was that if they do need to ever rebuild the tranny, that mainshafts are cheap.... not sure if that is true or not.
                        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
                          The guys on Trucks said the remedy to that problem(before it fails) is to spot weld the 5th gear nut to the main shaft. Their theory was that if they do need to ever rebuild the tranny, that mainshafts are cheap.... not sure if that is true or not.
                          From what I've read, that's one of a few ideas that's been tried... supposedly (again, talking diesel rigs here) the welds fail. The shafts aren't cheap anymore. The best fix is to get one of the aftermarket fully-splined mainshafts. But I'm not much concerned. An NV4500 has an easy life behind a 5.0 in a Bronco.

Still, based on a couple of calls today it won't be a cheap overhaul if I pay someone else to do it... quotes today were in the $1200-1400 range. I may wind up doing this myself after all. The go-to place for parts is supposed to be quad4x4.com in Montana. I'm gonna call them tomorrow, will report what I learn in case it helps someone here.

Comment

I never would have believed a manual tranny would cost so much to rebuild, although I just about choked when I got the bill for my recent auto tranny rebuild in my daily driver pickup. I guess the days of the $300-500 manual tranny overhaul are long gone!
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

I bought a full rebuild kit for my ZF just to get a few synchros for $309. It wasn't that hard to get apart or back together. The down side is that you need a hydraulic press with a really wide table. The largest gear on my mainshaft is around 7" in diameter. Even the biggest press from Harbor Freight only has like a 4" opening. I used the press at my fathers work place and managed to change what I had to. Do some research online, If you don't need any special tools to rebuild that NV4500, give it a try.
                              SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Working...
                              X