NV4500 overhaul shop needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NV4500 overhaul shop needed

Bayshore truck, the owner is a friend of mine and has sponsored a few rockcrawling events, Cantina for the Con, and a race car or two
    Mark Harris
    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
      Bayshore truck, the owner is a friend of mine and has sponsored a few rockcrawling events, Cantina for the Con, and a race car or two
      Just called the West Sac store. Ballparked $1400 for the overhaul. Ouch.
      1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
      I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
        I bought a full rebuild kit for my ZF just to get a few synchros for $309. It wasn't that hard to get apart or back together. The down side is that you need a hydraulic press with a really wide table. The largest gear on my mainshaft is around 7" in diameter. Even the biggest press from Harbor Freight only has like a 4" opening. I used the press at my fathers work place and managed to change what I had to. Do some research online, If you don't need any special tools to rebuild that NV4500, give it a try.
        Mostly I figured on saving time by paying someone else. The most expensive rebuild kit I've seen is 1/2 of what I'm getting quoted for an overhaul cost though.

Doing it myself is looking better- reading online I saw the same thing, it's pretty straightforward. We have an ancient 20 ton hydraulic press that's a castoff from Mare Island Naval Shipyard in our shop at work that has lots of room, so I have that part covered.

Comment

Sooo... I called Dan at Quad4x4 in Montana, and by the time I hung up the phone I'd bought a rebuild kit, service manual, oil and one tool (for the mainshaft). Total damages around 800 clams.

He described the NV4500 as easy to rebuild, and since I have access to a press, etc I decided to go for it. Their rebuild kits include the uber expensive OEM synchros, US-made bearings (which I'm kinda fussy about) etc.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll update this thread when I'm done with the work, probably in a month or two. Just had bilateral carpal tunnel surgery, so heavy lifting and wrenching is still several weeks away for me.

Comment

Good luck!
            I did a NV3500 a few years back, it was easy, just took a long time.
            Mark Harris

Comment

You'll be able to do it no problem! I've talked with several friends and friends of friends that have performed this rebuild and they all said, " anyone with mechanical skills can rebuild a 4500." I'm going to do mine this summer as well and live in East Sac. Lets stay in touch.... Brent

Comment

Originally posted by Stangeland View Post
                You'll be able to do it no problem! I've talked with several friends and friends of friends that have performed this rebuild and they all said, " anyone with mechanical skills can rebuild a 4500." I'm going to do mine this summer as well and live in East Sac. Lets stay in touch.... Brent
                I'll let you know when I get ready to dive in.

Comment

sounds good...

Comment

I pulled the transmission last Saturday with help from friends and tore into it. 12 hours of work later, it was ready to go back into my Bronco. Which it still is; I'm finishing up a bunch of other oh-so-long-deferred maintenance/upgrades/repairs first.

So I don't know yet just how successful I was. Hopefully this weekend.

But, I can say for anyone contemplating this, rebuilding an NV4500 is pretty straightforward. Only two critical items, setting the end play on the mainshaft and countershaft. One special tool needed, for the 5th gear nut. Everything else can be improvised, though you will want a nice large 2/3 jaw puller and a foot of 1/2-20 allthread with nuts, and some pieces of pipe to press on bearings and 5th gear.

The Quad4x4.com manual is excellent. A few errors on an exploded view, but that's it. Lots of color pics and step by step instructions, color photos of all the parts, explanations of how the transmission works, etc. And the parts he sells are all factory, US-made.

Interestingly I found that my transmission had been assembled incorrectly by the factory (it had obviously never been apart before this). Some centering struts were missing from the 3-4 synchronizer assembly, and the 3-4 synchronizer hub was installed backwards. It worked pretty well for the years I had it installed, so maybe not a big deal, but still... Also the bearings were obviously toast, though fortunately all the shafts and gears were in good condition.

More when I get some seat time with it.

Comment

Must have been built on a Monday or Friday.

Comment

Well, it worked. Drove it yesterday for the first time. Nice and quiet, almost as good as my NP435 (which would've been truly great for me if only it had that 5th gear). The notchiness that usually means dying synchros is gone.

Anyone thinking about a manual transmission rebuild, I say consider doing it yourself. I can't comment on a ZF, but I would imagine an NP435 is even easier.

Comment

Glad it all worked out.
                          Most of this stuff is easy, it's just removal and reinstall.
                          I've done a few NP435's and they are very simple as well.
                          Mark Harris

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                            Most of this stuff is easy, it's just removal and reinstall.
                            That was the easiest part. Bribed some friends with beer and it happened automagically

Comment

Not local, but ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...Q5fAccessories
                              69 bronco, 72 bronco, 66 vert stang

Comment

Working...
                              X