Explorer serp fitment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer serp fitment?

Instead of having fun on the 'Con this weekend, I spent Sunday putting a '96 Explorer motor in my Bronco. When the motor dropped in, the lower idler pulley under the tensioner is sitting on the frame crossmember. Has anyone else experienced this with the Explorer front dress? What solutions are there? Thanks,

Todd
    1971 EB: 3.5" 4 link rear, wristed front, 2" body, 96 Explorer 5.0 EDIS EEC-IV, C6, Nissan PS, Hydroboost w/front disks, 4.88 9" w/spool, D44 w/ aussie locker, TRO, 37" MTRs

Re: Explorer serp fitment?

I would rotate the engine towards the driver side a tad or grind on the frame rail support that is in the way.

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

Here is a pic of mine as it sits, there isnt a ton of room but enough. I had to shave some metal off of the alt bracket to clear the frame. You could also open up that factory hole that is in the crossmember there to make more room.
      Attached Files

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

"Extreme motor mounts" will raise your block up about 1/2" - 3/4". Got a pair on my 302 w/ sploder serp and I've got about 3/4" clearance on that crossmember. If you've got new motor mounts I'm sure you could fab up some spacers out of flatbar for them to raise the engine abit and give you the needed clearance vice grinding on the xmember.
        Last edited by Fungus232; 06-28-2010, 11:14 AM.
        sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Yes, I was thinking about making some spacers out of flat stock as the motor mounts are brand new and throwing another $140 at this for WH extremes did not sound appealing. Did not know if this was common or a fluke. Looks like it is a pretty tight fit for everyone.
          1971 EB: 3.5" 4 link rear, wristed front, 2" body, 96 Explorer 5.0 EDIS EEC-IV, C6, Nissan PS, Hydroboost w/front disks, 4.88 9" w/spool, D44 w/ aussie locker, TRO, 37" MTRs

Comment

It's common. Seems to depend on motor mounts, and, based on a couple of Broncos I've seen, on placement of the frame mount horns when Ford welded them to the frame.

I didn't need to do anything to mine- cleared by a mile. But a couple of friends have fixed the problem with shims. From what I recall 1/8" thick is plenty.
            1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
            I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Originally posted by PDXBronco View Post
              Here is a pic of mine as it sits, there isnt a ton of room but enough. I had to shave some metal off of the alt bracket to clear the frame. You could also open up that factory hole that is in the crossmember there to make more room.
              that's way too close. Unless yu have solid motor mounts, it will hit. Like mentioned, the extreme motor mounts will raise the engine 5/8 or so to lift it out of the way. I just happen to have a set here, new for you.
              “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Do you even need that idler pulley?? Just take/cut it off. Sure you will need to find a belt the right length, but once you find what the application it comes from it will be easy to buy a replacement in the future. Just a thought.

Comment

I used my mad paint skills to put the belt routing in red. I don't think that the tensioner just above the idler pulley would work if you cut off that lower pulley.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X