D44 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D44 question

A HPd44 out of a 79' bronco will bolt into my 72 right, all the suspension the same?

Originally posted by stonecrusherbronco
    A HPd44 out of a 79' bronco will bolt into my 72 right, all the suspension the same?
    Yes but you will have to turn the bottom spring perches around 180 deg. Keep the spring closer to the original location.

Aaron
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

The axle wedges will be farther apart on the 79. You will have to move them in some. Also the axle is wider. You may even have clearance issues with the driveshaft being higher too.
      1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

Thanks, i thought that the wedges might be a tad wider. I want to run 39' or 40's do you think a 44 would hold up alright with some aftermarket axles or would it be best to just buy a D60?

Comment

The wedges are about 3 inches wider on each side versus an EB axle. However, if this is a 1/2 ton 79 axle you can't move the wedges in because they are cast into the axle. You basically have two choices, #1 is to cut the long side axle tube down so the overall width matches the EB axle width, or #2 would be to use it as is and just let your coil springs bow out.

Now whether this axle will hold up to 40 inch tires depends on a lot of other factors like gearing, horse power, driving style, heavy or light right foot, street driven or trail rig?

I have a 3/4 ton D44 with 4340 cromo axles, Yukon super joints and an ARB running 39.5 Iroks and so far so good. But I am a finesse driver versus a stomp it and hang on driver. There is always a weak link in your drive train and running 40 inch tires I guarantee you that you will find it sooner or later.

Comment

Thanks, i thought that the wedges might be a tad wider. I want to run 39' or 40's do you think a 44 would hold up alright with some aftermarket axles or would it be best to just buy a D60?
            Personally, knowing what I know now, I'd go with a D60. I have Warn Shafts, CTM's & an ARB in mine. I could have bought a 60 for what I have into this axle
            Mark Langford
            Dysfunctional Rockcrawlers Member

91 YJ, 6.0 Vortec, T18, 4:1 D300, D60's 5.13's ARB & Detroit, R.E. SOA Leafs in front & 5.5" RE Coils w/4-link in the rear, 42" Iroks on Walker Evans Beadlocks.

Comment

I ran 39's with a D44 on my 79 Bronco with chromo's and ctm's and it worked well. No breakage but like Crawling said "finesse" is the key.

However on my current rig I put in a D60 and I feel good knowing I can hammer the H*ll out of it and still get home. I don't exactly agree with the cost being equal to a D44 or close since you already have a D44 and a used 60 is 1k by itself before lockers/gears whatever. On the other hand you don't need to buy those chromo's or ctm's with a 60 so you save some $$$.

Hope this helps, FM
              72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
              1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Yeah, i just dont know what to do, i use finesse most of the time but everyone knows that every once in a while you gotta let it rip. I have a 9" in the back with 35 spline axles and the big bearing kit and strange rearend so im pretty confident as far as the rear goes, the motor is an efi 302 with 10:1 so its pretty peppy, gears are 4.56, np435. I know guys to that run ctm and chromoly shafts and they say it works well too but i wanted to ask some guys that acturally have EB, of course everyone wants a D60 but what about clearance problems with the diff. I would rather put a built d44 in, but im nervus about whats going to happen when im all binded up in little sluce? So i dont know. All the comments help alot thanks. Anyone ran a d44 threw little sluce with 39's 40's?

Comment

Anyone ran a d44 threw little sluce with 39's 40's?

I haven't been on the Rubicon yet, but I ran some of the Hammers trails at the 40th with no problems with my D44 and 39.5 Iroks.

Comment

Alright im convinced, d44 it is. thanks for the help

Comment

Patrick, you didn't tell him you are going to a 60 in the front though.
                      Marc D.
                      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72
                        Is that true?I would love that front axle..

A
                        KK6DAD
                        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72

Man...there are no secrets around here huh? LOL! I've had the 60 sitting in the garage for while now. I'm waiting to see if I start breaking parts in the 44 but so far so good, the 44 has held up just fine. So the 60 is collecting dust for now. Who know's maybe I'll never need it.

Comment

Hey Crusher, if you go to the D60 you will need to run 39's or you will be like me dragging those anchors everywhere with my 37's.

Crawling what runs did you make at the Hammers???
                            72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
                            1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

sounds like it is time to pull them back out Family man, and shave them. Then it would be like having the 39's.
                              I know he went up Jack, because I saw him on it.
                              Marc D.
                              If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Working...
                              X