CTM help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTM help needed

I'm going through some of the usual Bronco maintenance today including greasing all the u-joints in preparation for next week's Coyote Lake trip, and I discovered that one of my CTM joints is missing one of the grease zerk fittings on one of the bearing caps. These are very low profile grease fittings that sit nearly flush with the bearing cap for clearance purposes.

Does anybody know where I could find a replacement, within the next 4-5 days? the zerk fittings at all the local parts stores are too big and will get broken off when the u-joint rotates around.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA...
    -Tony
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: CTM help needed

go to kragen and buy 1 joint for a stock axle. should be $12. unless ctm uses an odd sized zerk
    {o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
      go to kragen and buy 1 joint for a stock axle. should be $12. unless ctm uses an odd sized zerk
      It is an oddball. It's a fitting that sits nearly flush to the bearing cap and does not have that "ball" sitting on top for the typical grease fitting to snap onto. It has to be very low profile to avoid contact with the inside of the lower ball joint. This happened to me once before and CTM eventually mailed me a replacement, but they took their sweet time!
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Its the grease fitting for the rubber tipped needle right????
        72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
        BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
        RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Well have a flat zerk in my hand right now. Not the kind with a nipple on it.
          {o===o}
          Originally posted by TBS-POPS
          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
          Originally posted by CityHick
          I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
            Its the grease fitting for the rubber tipped needle right????
            Yes sir!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
            Well have a flat zerk in my hand right now. Not the kind with a nipple on it.
            I'll give you a call Ryan... this may be worth a beer or two!
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

Call Jack at CTM. He'll have you one in no time.

Comment

In a pinch, would it work to get an allen head grub screw of the correct size/pitch to seal it up? You could probably still grease it up as much as possible then put the screw in.

OSH carries a decent selection.
                Last edited by tortuga; 07-17-2010, 08:57 PM.

Comment

I'm going to call CTM first thing Monday morning. I already sent them an email. Tortuga, your idea is exactly what I have in mind. I already pumped some grease into the cap and in the worst case I'll find a way to seal it up without a fitting.

I took the rig out for a drive this evening and noticed something is rattling underneath... guess I have another job for tomorrow... identify and fix whatever is loose!
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                    I took the rig out for a drive this evening and noticed something is rattling underneath... guess I have another job for tomorrow... identify and fix whatever is loose!
                    Your bronco only has ONE rattle!!?? I'm jealous!

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                      Your bronco only has ONE rattle!!?? I'm jealous!
                      It's got more than that... but whatever is loose now sounds really bad!
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

driveline bolts?
                        KK6DAD
                        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

bad CTM from contamination and lack of lube......I could be wrong but I would say thats about 87% correct.
                          72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                          BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                          RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
                            bad CTM from contamination and lack of lube......I could be wrong but I would say thats about 87% correct.
                            Pops, there's lots of grease up under that cap. I grease the heck out of them before every trip. I flushed it pretty good with some new grease and there was plenty of it in there when I noticed the problem yesterday, and when I had the front axle apart less than a year ago, both joints looked perfect. Things may have changed between then and now, but I've only put maybe 10 miles on the front axle since it was apart, have not done ANY wheeling since then, so I doubt the joint is bad.

I'm 97% sure of it!
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=902499

Comment

Working...
                              X