Frame cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame cleaning

Having lots of fun cleaning frame, what would you recomend to clean off years of road tar, undercoating, and paint?

Re: Frame cleaning

The purple degreaser from HF works well for grease and grime.
    Undercoating and tar will come off with some laquer thinner and elbow grease.
    Paint, depending on what it is, may have to be sanded off or you might use a more aggressive cleaner like Aircraft stripper or the Jasco paint stripper product you can get at OSH, Depot of Lowes.

I do not miss those days... cleaning my frame was not fun!
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

Gasket scrapers, brake parts cleaner, wire cup brush on a 7" grinder, and handheld wire brush! Just a few things that have worked for me!
      SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Never tried cleaning my frame but when I was cleaning my axles and wanted to strip everything off it. I used EZ-Off BBQ cleaner. Wear gloves trust me I learned the hard way.

Comment

Drop it off at the blaster. I got sick of wire wheeling mine and just spent the money. Or get it dipped if you have a place local.

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

oven cleaner works great on grease.. but the rest is all elbow power
            75 sport 302 c4 full width 44 front 9 rear let the building begin

Comment

Take it in and have it sand blasted. Best 100 bucks you'll ever spend!

Comment

That is what I was thinking. Thanks

Comment

I put simple green in a pump garden sprayer, then have a pretty bad dude pressure washer
                  Mark Harris
                  71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                    Take it in and have it sand blasted. Best 100 bucks you'll ever spend!
                    X2. It comes out squeaky clean. Be prepared to primer/paint or powder coat if you have it blasted.

Comment

Almost ready for that, all the spring mounts and radius arm mounts are removed. Next is the front coil buckets, won't work when I move the front forward.

Nice frame stand I may have to copy that.

Comment

Nice tips and all, but what if you dont have the real estate for a frame off? Got a mean powerwasher, just add chemicals I guess, then seal/paint
                        68 Slightly modified
                        67 LUBR once again
                        61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Working...
                        X